The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   101 JUMPING EXCERSISES (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/101-jumping-excersises-1326/)

Kiki 03-27-2007 06:46 PM

101 JUMPING EXCERSISES

ok as some of you may know i'm starting jumping new and I'm racking my brains as to how to make the jumping lessons intresting. And stuff to work on ect ect ect.........

HELP!!!!

sparky 03-28-2007 07:40 AM

Well, i am in the process of training and i alternate all the time. I have different jump types, sizes, i put them in different parts of the paddock (because i do not have an arena).

Sometimes i will just put a halter on her and i will lead her around and over the jumps.

Just try to take some days off jumping and do something else that you both love doing.

EquineIllusion 03-29-2007 06:37 AM

There are many different exercises that you can do with your horse.
I recommend that you spend a maximum of 3 days a week jumping your horse. Each session should be no longer than 20 minutes of constant jumping. Afterwards, you should break off and do some dressage/flatwork for 10 or 15 minutes then resume jumping for another 10 minutes before cooling your horse off or going for a short trail ride.

As for different activities. There are loads of different activities you can do. Use your imagination. Or, if that isn't possible, refer to some horse books, or use a search engine to find some.
Courses are always good practise, and striding work is good too.

Whatever you decide to do, remember, don't jump for too long at any one time. Your horse or pony can become bored which can cause it to refuse or run out on jumps that it wouldn't normally do, purely out of boredom.

Goodluck!

:)

aussie_jumper 04-04-2007 06:58 AM

well use the book 101 jumping excercises becasue it is educational for both of you and fun!

Kiki 04-17-2007 06:33 PM

Thanks......I realise there is a book 101 Jumping exsersises and i think i've got it coming through my local library.

Besides Dana's lame at the moment sooo....