The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My Horse Is foundered... Any Treat Ideas? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-foundered-any-treat-ideas-132606/)

Chloe16251 07-28-2012 04:31 PM

My Horse Is foundered... Any Treat Ideas?

I want to still give my horse treats but I found out he has foundered in his past and I would like some ideas on safe treats?? Thanks :)

Cherie 07-28-2012 07:36 PM

carrots

Super Nova 07-28-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1620047)
carrots

No not carrots they are way to high in sugar.

What about alfalfa cubes.....that is what I use for treats they are low in sugar.

Super Nova

PunksTank 07-28-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Super Nova (Post 1620072)
No not carrots they are way to high in sugar.

What about alfalfa cubes.....that is what I use for treats they are low in sugar.

Super Nova

EEK! Alfalfa cubes should never ever be served dry! They swell up and cause horses to colic! I really hope you're giving them soaked alfalfa cubes as treats. Unsoaked hay cubes are very dangerous.

Good treats for foundered horses:
Celery and other leaf green vegetables
Hay stretcher pellets
alfalfa pellets

Poor pony :( hope he feels better!

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-28-2012 09:19 PM

Wither scratches. No sugar in them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chevaux 07-28-2012 09:51 PM

Perhaps the occasional horse cookie -- given very sparingly. You can buy them or if your talented can make your own. I have seen many horse cookie recipes on the internet. As a matter of fact, if you make your own you will be able to control the quantity of sugar going into them.

loosie 07-28-2012 10:53 PM

Agree it's best to stick to 'low GI' alternatives. Raw carrots aren't so high in nsc as you'd imagine tho. I'd still keep the amount of any sugar/carbs right down, so I wouldn't give more than say one diced carrot, if that's what you choose - still gives you a lot of 'treats' per carrot. Did your horse founder due to IR/obesity or another cause? That makes a difference as to how strict you'd want to be about diet.
Equine Cushing's and Insulin Resistance Information