The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Gaited fox trotter geilding for jumping? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/gaited-fox-trotter-geilding-jumping-132665/)

hannahfg 07-29-2012 12:55 AM

Gaited fox trotter geilding for jumping?

hi! i have a horse that i would like to start training to jump more seriously. He is very brave and has no problems walking through, over, and on anything i point him at. Problem is.. he is a fox trotter with a very strong gait. i have seen and heard of people jumping gaited horses but my question is will it be looked down upon and will other horses at competitions have anything over him that can keep him from placing well? thank you!:D

jumanji321 08-03-2012 10:02 PM

What kind of competitions? If it's jumpers you won't have any issues, but hunters might give you issues.

ponyboy 08-04-2012 07:08 PM

Believe it or not MFT's can make good hunters (assuming they will canter under saddle of course). There is a farm in Texas that breeds them and competes in hunters... I forget the name of it. If you're going to jump a gaited horse they're the best breed to pick.

jumanji321 08-04-2012 08:18 PM

Yes, I should have elaborated and stated it depends on the horse's movement. Some gaited horses move perfectly for hunters, others, not so much.

clippityclop 08-04-2012 08:35 PM

AGree - foxtrotters have a more diagonal gait than lateral - it helps not so much coming to the fence, but when landing on the other side in a canter.

Unless you have one like mine whose canter is not his best gait and he will land on the other side of a fence and cross canter upon landing - that's a gaited issue all gaited folks will deal with at one time or another...but that's more mechanics and training than anything.

ponyboy 08-05-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumanji321 (Post 1630894)
Yes, I should have elaborated and stated it depends on the horse's movement. Some gaited horses move perfectly for hunters, others, not so much.

MFT's are the only gaited breed that aren't bred for high leg lift. Some have quite a flat stride.