The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   how can i turn my horse's brown tail to flaxen tail? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-can-i-turn-my-horses-132690/)

saddlebredgirl6 07-29-2012 08:54 AM

how can i turn my horse's brown tail to flaxen tail?

I have a chestnut horse with a brown tail. It has a few gray/white strands in it. I want to get his tail lighter and I would love for it to be a flaxen color with a few brown streaks. I have tried lemon juice to lighten the color but that hasn't helped. Are their any homemade remedies of products that I could use to lighten his tail? Thanks.

saddlebredgirl6 07-29-2012 09:08 AM

would bleach work? could that harm the tail?

sommsama09 07-29-2012 09:25 AM

Why don't you just accept the horse as he is? Does colour really matter? Just my opinion - not my horse. Dont mean to sound rude - just curious :wink:

Speed Racer 07-29-2012 09:32 AM

What's wrong with his tail as it is? My chestnut has a red mane and tail, and I think they're quite attractive.

Besides, if you try and lighten it, you may damage the hair, especially if you continue doing it as the hair grows out.

usandpets 07-29-2012 09:53 AM

Just like our hair, coloring and bleaching it makes it weaker. They swat flies with their tail. If the hair is weak and brittle, it would break off and they can't swat flies as well.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 07-29-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saddlebredgirl6 (Post 1620742)
would bleach work? could that harm the tail?

Please don't try anything involving bleach and instructions from the Internet to change the color of your horse's tail. There's a huge amount that can go wrong in a very big way.
Posted via Mobile Device

usandpets 07-29-2012 09:55 AM

Maybe get extensions and put in the tail for different color
Posted via Mobile Device

NorthernMama 07-29-2012 10:18 AM

I would think that peroxide is your answer, but you absolutely will damage the hair doing this. Also, you need to protect the rest of your horse very well. You don't want that peroxide getting around the anus especially. Also, I would coat the underside of his tail with something. Maybe vaseline? I don't know. Ask a hairdresser if that would work.

Seems like a lot of work and then it's going to grow out anyway. Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Edited to add: I really like the extensions idea from usandpets. Much safer and, more versatile too. You can change the colours according to your mood!

saddlebredgirl6 07-29-2012 12:45 PM

Flaxen Tail Reply

I do love my horse they way his tail is now. I was just wondering if their were any non-harmful ways I could make his tail lighter. If his tail could be lighter, great, but if their isn't a way then that is perfectly okay. I asked about bleach because I didn't know how it would treat it. Now I know not to use it. Thank you for your replies. :-)

saddlebredgirl6 07-29-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speed Racer (Post 1620764)
What's wrong with his tail as it is? My chestnut has a red mane and tail, and I think they're quite attractive.

Besides, if you try and lighten it, you may damage the hair, especially if you continue doing it as the hair grows out.

Nothing is wrong with his tail as it is now. He is a big show horse and flaxen tails are very rare. I was just wondering if he could get that look also. But, since there is too much of a chance of harming it, I don't want to take that risk.