The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   wind puffs? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/wind-puffs-132729/)

HarleyWood 07-29-2012 05:21 PM

wind puffs?

2 Attachment(s)
my Paint has two bumps on his hocks they are pretty large and squishy like liquid. i can ride him and work him and press on them he doesnt care. right side is larger then the left.
Attachment 108229

Attachment 108230

HarleyWood 07-29-2012 10:13 PM

Anyone? know how to get rid of them?

HarleyWood 07-30-2012 09:15 PM

bumping

the right is a bit bigger tonight but the left is smaller..

PintoTess 07-30-2012 09:17 PM

They look like fluid build up called "Wind Galls". Cold hosing may reduce the swelling and a mud like poultice called Tuff Rock is very good at reducing the swelling also.

HarleyWood 07-30-2012 09:20 PM

is there any way to get rid of them for good? where can you get Tuff Rock?

PintoTess 07-30-2012 09:23 PM

Im not too sure, I don't think so. Usually they aren't too harmful but then you can get them bad ones. Tuff Rock can just be brought from a local tack store or produce. It is relatively cheap, only $25 in Australia but im not sure where you are! :D It is also good for wounds etc...

This:
TuffRock | Calf Plus | animal health products

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-30-2012 09:26 PM

a windgall is quite possible but not likely... Its most commonly refered to as a type of inflmation of synovial membrane which surrounds the fetlock and digital flexor tendon sheath. tenosynovitis is the fancy term used to describe the inflamation of synovial membrane (referred to as synovitis) linning of the tendon sheath. this whole thing makes up what windgalls typically are but bear in mind this is all in the fetlock not the hock...

your horse in my opinion obviously; looks like he/she has got bog spavin. Bog spavin is commonly the name used to describe synovitis of the hock or tarsal joint. This occurs when the sbasically the same process described int he fetlock occurs int he hock simply put your horse experience a trauma (over worked, tweaked itself, bucked landed funny, etc) and the membrane sac which surrounds his joints in his hock became inflamed to protect themselves just as your elbo or knee might swell if you fell rela

HarleyWood 07-30-2012 09:27 PM

would something like this work i know we have a place that has this close by to us.
Farnam Cool Pack Green Jelly

PintoTess 07-30-2012 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ashleysmardigrasgirl (Post 1623292)
a windgall is quite possible but not likely... Its most commonly refered to as a type of inflmation of synovial membrane which surrounds the fetlock and digital flexor tendon sheath. tenosynovitis is the fancy term used to describe the inflamation of synovial membrane (referred to as synovitis) linning of the tendon sheath. this whole thing makes up what windgalls typically are but bear in mind this is all in the fetlock not the hock...

your horse in my opinion obviously; looks like he/she has got bog spavin. Bog spavin is commonly the name used to describe synovitis of the hock or tarsal joint. This occurs when the sbasically the same process described int he fetlock occurs int he hock simply put your horse experience a trauma (over worked, tweaked itself, bucked landed funny, etc) and the membrane sac which surrounds his joints in his hock became inflamed to protect themselves just as your elbo or knee might swell if you fell relaly hard on it. However in horses repeated injury to the area is usually what causes the inflamation.

I would look critically at your horses conformation and possibly reconsider your training regieme as it may be a little too heavy for his ability. However if that doesnt work or is clearly not the case then you may be dealing with a fracture or improper farrier work.

If rest doesn';t fix it I would schedule a raidograph or at the very least call a vet out.

are these bumps on the interior portion of his hock as well or just the antierior?

Ah yes my bad! I wasn't sure if a wind gall could appear at the hock as well as the fetlock :P Thanks for clearing that up!

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-30-2012 09:31 PM

no prob lol I see the mistake made so much I thought I might clarify it :)