The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Should I train for these people? Mixed feelings... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/should-i-train-these-people-mixed-132742/)

SorrelHorse 07-29-2012 06:50 PM

Should I train for these people? Mixed feelings...

Alright so I reently contacted a barn that is close to me to ask if they needed help. I've just noticed a lot of their horse ads are "Project, don't have time". And I mean a LOT. I kinda got the sense they weren't totally "in the biz" as it may seem. Either new or not knowing what they were doing. So on a whim I sent an email offering training for commission on the horses.

Well, I recently learned that the place belongs to a guy (We'll call him C) who was involved with Rebel before I bought him.

Now the story from the lady I bought Rebel from, was that he was a boarders horse under C's care for several months and the boarder dropped off the face of the planet so they sold Rebel. When I bought Rebel from her, she threw claims around, saying that C spent so much time on him for months doing his feet, farrier, chiro, la-de-da...But Rebel was still 200lbs under weight, FULL of worms, his feet weren't good, and his teeth weren't done. He had sharp pieces all over the place.

So, long story short, I think that story is BS.

I've also heard some other shady stories about this "C" and the lady who apparantly worked with him that I bought Rebel from.

I learned that C was still working at that barn after I had already offered my help and got deep into the conversation with the gal.

The horses in the ads seem to be in good shape....Just, not quality.

I'm torn. I don't want to work for someone who could do those things I suspect they did to a horse. But, if there is something going on, I want to be there to maybe help the horses too. I would love to be assured that everything I've heard is just a product of ignorance, not deliberate neglect or abuse...I'm just really concerned.

Do you guys think I should continue? The lady I have been talking to seems nice, but I'm nervous about C who is still there at the barn. I have not gone to meet them or work with any of their horses yet. As soon as I realized who I would be with I made an excuse about waiting for a work schedule before I could say for certain when I could come meet them....So now, I'm mulling things over...Just really uncertain.

BarrelWannabe 07-29-2012 07:27 PM

It's a no for me.

It all just sounds off, and with your talent, you will find better opportunities. Let this one pass.

nherridge 07-29-2012 07:41 PM

I agree with BarrelWannabe. If your a good, trainer with a good rep - I wouldn't train for dramatic people who could ruin your rep. I have learned to just stay away from the drama. Period.

NeuroticMare 07-29-2012 07:45 PM

Listen to your gut on this one, red flags are probably going off for a reason. Something better is waiting in the wings!

SorrelHorse 07-29-2012 07:55 PM

Thanks you guys. Just needed someone to confirm this all for me.

I can't get over what I've heard about these people...I think I'm going to tell her I can't do it.

DancingArabian 07-29-2012 08:01 PM

I'm torn. On the one side, if these people truly don't know, then they may not know what all a horse needs and may not be getting the proper help. There's an "equine dentist" in my area who charges close to $100 per visit, and I personally know more than one equine dentist who says not to use that guy because he doesn't float properly. One can certainly have a bad dentist/farrier/whatever that does a half-donkey job but doesn't know what to look for to be able to figure it out.

I would talk to them and see what kind of arrangement they'd want. If you decide not to work with them for whatever reason, you could always say the arrangement wouldn't work for you.

BlooBabe 07-29-2012 08:38 PM

I think you need to get the full story, maybe go down and see what goes on during a normal day or week at the barn. You said the person who originally owned your horse 'dropped off the face of the planet' maybe she told c not touch him and just feed him in which case a normal horse would lose muscle mass and if all the horses are getting the same amount and type feed could cause weight loss. Not to defend c but if i had a boarding facility and a horse was dropped in my lap that i didn't want, couldn't afford and wasn't expecting there might not be any special care taken to the horse except looking for a new owner. Not everyone would jump at the chance to keep him especially if it meant losing money for a stall and in feeding/medical costs. To some people horses are business and not pets and if all it takes is the bare minimum to keep people around then it's more on the boarders than the BO for lack of care to the horses. I'm just trying to give a different perspective with the information you've given. I could be wrong, you didn't give us tons of info.

You could always offer your services on a private basis, not working for the barn but doing work with individual boarders. that way he's not your boss and he has no control over what you do with the horses. it keeps you close enough to aid anyone in need and still far enough away to be keep an outsider's point of view.

SorrelHorse 07-29-2012 11:14 PM

Well I just find it unsettling that they claim to have spent "hundreds of dollars" over "months" in "farrier, chiropractic, and teeth work" (Quotes from the email I kept when I bought him) for it to have just been a drop off and them not being able to afford it. And what kills me, he wasn't the only horse at the barn where I went to see him that was skinny. And there was an overgrown field full of grass and NONE of the horses were turned out on it. It was a perfectly good field, no fence down. And when we got ahold of him and put him on even just a few flakes a day, he fattened up like a tick and was normal in just about a month. >>

I don't know, if it was me and I have to spend hundreds of dollars on a horse, I would spend it on hay and feed/wormer first, chiros, dentists, etc second. It just really makes me mad. I have a lot to say about the people I got him from, but I was trying to avoid getting myself into a worked up state from retelling every detail, but that's the gist.

Skyseternalangel 07-30-2012 02:48 AM

I wouldn't..... you shouldn't be training a poor condition horse anyway :/ just not fair to them.

waresbear 07-30-2012 02:55 AM

Go have a look at the condition of the horses first, if anything bothers you like horses' weight, etc., just say no thanks. That way you won't always be wondering "what if".