The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Sold my horse and am feeling sad (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/sold-my-horse-am-feeling-sad-132833/)

tbrantley 07-30-2012 11:16 AM

Sold my horse and am feeling sad

I sold my 10 year old TWH:-( Spirit. I had him since he was 18 mo. old and broke him myself. He has been a very good horse. He went to a very good home and I know that he will be taken care of but I still have a lump in my throat and a sickly feeling in my stomach. I keep reminding myself that it is the best thing for him, but it still has been hard. I have another horse my husband wants me to sell and I have had her since she was 8 mo. old. He has ask me to put her on the internet and I have made every excuss why I haven't done it. She is also a beautiful, gentle horse and needs a loving home. I hate that we have had a drought this year and can't find enough hay to feed all our horses. He has already sold his extra horses were is down to two horses, his show horse and then his trail horse. I am suppose to do the same.

I am writing this to help me give over the sad feeling that I am feeling. My husband doesn't seem to understand that I miss this horse very deeply. I have been trying not to cry but it feels like I have lost a family member. I keep telling myself that he is going to be very happy there and his new owner already loves him. Has anyone sold a horse and went through similar feelings? :-(:-(:-(:-(:-(

What's even worse I am going to have to sell another family member and I am hoping that I can find a good home for her.

myhorsesonador 07-30-2012 11:37 AM

It's been almost exactly a year since I sold my horse. I still feel sick over it, but I know she is very well taken care of. I had her since she was 13 months, and I sold her when she was almost 7. So I'd had her for almost 6 years, she was also my first horse.

(((hugs))) I'm sorry you are going through this. :(

tbrantley 07-30-2012 11:51 AM

Thank you for your sympathy. It helps to hear from people that have experience simular situation. It also helps to talk about it to people that understand.

Thanks again

TBrider 08-17-2012 05:48 PM

i never had to sell a horse b/c i dont have one but we had to give away our dog and i was devastated. I visited other people's dogs and it made me feel better even though i couldn't be with my dog

Saddlebag 08-20-2012 06:51 PM

My hubby knew better than to tell me to sell my horse. I think he was afraid I'd chose the horse over him, and he was right.

tbrantley 08-20-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1653064)
My hubby knew better than to tell me to sell my horse. I think he was afraid I'd chose the horse over him, and he was right.

The problem is that I had 5 horses that was considered mine and I only ride two on a regular basis. He also had several horses, the hay situation here is veeryyy serious due to the drought conditions that we have been under iin this area. So to take care of the horses the way they need to be taken care of we had to sell some. It was a decision that we both felt was best for our horses. I have been taking my time and finding good homes for them. My boys are grown and have found other interest right now so the horses are not being ridden often and have been an extra expense for awhile. But because I have had them since they were around two years old or younger and broke the horses myself it has been hard for me to sell them. But knowing that I am finding homes that the people are truly wanting a kind, gentle horse with a lot of trail riding experience and very appealing to look at is making it easy to sell them. It is just hard for me to let go of them because of the attachment that I have with them. My husband doesn't get attach to them the way I do. He buys, traiins and sells horses all the time. I don't!!!!:-( So I am having a hard time. But when the new owner tell me how much they love the horse and how happy they are together, then it makes it a little easier.

churumbeque 08-20-2012 08:22 PM

Could you do a free lease and then next year the hay situation might improve?

newbierider 08-21-2012 01:46 AM

I can only imagine how difficult it must be to let your horses go. Even when you know its best for them it doesn't mean you don't still miss them.
2 of my 3 horses were very loved and missed by their previous owners. They were only sold because the people were ready to move on to barrel racing and another one could no longer ride.
I feel very blessed that they allowed my family to become the new owners, these horses were meant to be for us and I still send them photos and updates of our adventures on trails and camping once a month.
i think the fact they get to see them, hear about them and know they are well loved and taken care of give them comfort.
Maybe you could ask whoever gets your horses if they would do the same.

Skyseternalangel 08-21-2012 03:24 AM

I know you'll find the best homes for all of them! :)

Cacowgirl 08-21-2012 09:46 AM

I've always struggled w/selling a horse. I get so connected-it just rips my heart out. I just have 2 now & they are seniors. I hope your heart feels lighter soon.