The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   tips on getting rid of scars (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/tips-getting-rid-scars-132844/)

reideespana 07-30-2012 12:24 PM

tips on getting rid of scars

When I fell, I ended up with a nasty pinch wound from where the horse stuck my leg around about where the neck of my riding boots were. Now it's healed, there is a dark circular scar and all the skin around it is very tight, not to mention the flesh underneath it is really solid. Sometimes, not always, it hurts to walk because the skin pulls. So I just wanted to see if there were any good ways to get rid of scars/ loosen the skin around them? I've tried bio oil, but it didn't do much? I might try again though.

Speed Racer 07-30-2012 12:37 PM

Speak to a dermatologist.

There may not be much you can do though, since scar tissue is difficult to get rid of, and by its nature is going to pull at the surrounding skin.

DancingArabian 07-30-2012 12:45 PM

Dermatologist would be the first route.

You can try to get rid of or lessen the discoloration with Mederma but that won't affect the underlying scar tissue.

If in the end a dermatologist can't help you might be able to have it surgically removed. It's considered plastic surgery. I had a scar on my face from falling off my horse as a teen and I had it surgically removed.
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 07-30-2012 12:56 PM

i have heard vitamin e works, but i have no experience with that.

after i had surgery on my broken arm and hand the doctor told me to massage the scars a lot to lessen the scar tissue, it definitely helped !

reideespana 07-30-2012 01:04 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm not really bothered about the appearance, since it's in a covered spot. But it gets on my nerves knowing it's there XD

gypsygirl 07-30-2012 01:06 PM

you are lucky its hidden ! my forearm has a huge line down it and people are always asking if i slit my wrist and tried to commit suicide !

Equbook 07-31-2012 03:32 AM

Hm, well, indeed you would have to massage the scar quite a lot, best with natural Aloe Vera or any other special paste you could get from the chemist's. Just never scratch it and don't expose it to the sun.

CowboysDream 08-01-2012 04:35 PM

I am not sure about the loosening up for skin, but I heard if you want to lessen the discolouration you will want to keep it out of sunlight/Unexposed to UV rays.

I would assume that the skin would loosen up over time, but like others said - dermatologist is the way to go on this one.