The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Soybean hay? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/soybean-hay-132863/)

Djinnjer 07-30-2012 03:17 PM

Soybean hay?

With the continued drought here in Indiana, some of our local farmers immediate to me, due to soybeans not producing, are opting to bail their soybean plants. From what I've researched online, soybean seems to be possibly unpalatable to many horses, but I didn't really find anything regarding whether or not it was safe, toxic, etc.

Thought I'd reach out to the knowledge base of forum members and see if I could find out more about this. At this point, our current hay source thinks he will have enough of our regular grass hay to get us and his other buyers through until spring, but I wanted to find out more about this proactively, in the event things get that desperate come fall/winter, that it might be an option to be considered...or if it's not an option and I would need to consider other alternatives. (For instance, I know that Tractor Supply (and I believe one of our local Ag Centers) normally carries cubed alfalfa and I think grass/alfalfa mix cubes, but not sure how long that supply will hold up, with the drought affecting 60% of the U.S. currently.

aforred 07-30-2012 03:48 PM

If beet pulp isn't too high in your area you can use it as a hay extender. You can replace up to 40% of your hay ration (by weight).

I don't know anything about soy hay, sorry. But I am interested in what people have to say about it. I am pretty scared of what's going to happen this winter and next year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Djinnjer 07-30-2012 03:50 PM

Thanks. I also have been reading about beet pulp and thought I might check out local sources.

Also, I should clarify that I know bailed soybeans aren't actually "hay", as they aren't a grass. I meant to put Hay in quotations. lol