The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   ADVICE: Purchase mare for breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/advice-purchase-mare-breeding-132876/)

oxalie 07-30-2012 06:21 PM

ADVICE: Purchase mare for breeding
 
I would like to have your opinion on this issue.

Everything started with a mare that wasn't for sale. I told the owner that I like her mare and i would like to buy it from her. After few weeks, she agreed to sell it to me for 7k with a payment plan and several conditions. After few weeks of negotiation, she droped the price to 4K and she added one condition: I have to take care of her actual foal until she sells it. I have no issues with this condition, but after that, she added more conditions. Here is the new terms:

1- The mare must be approved by Sport Horse Association

2- The actual owner wants the right to request one new foal from the mare at any time (2, 3, 10 years after the sell)

3- If I decide to sell the mare, I must give her the first choice and I must sell the mare at the price that I've bought it (4000$).

4-(the part I'm not comfortable with) The actual owner have full rights to decide which blacksmith I'll use until she get her foal from the mare.


Is anyone have already had a similar issue? Is these terms and conditions to the sell make sens?


Thanks guys!

Speed Racer 07-30-2012 06:32 PM

Run, do not walk, away from this seller. I'd NEVER agree to any of those terms.

JustDressageIt 07-30-2012 06:34 PM

Wow, restrictive much? I would not agree with any of them - the first one adds value to the mare, the second means you're paying for care whole she gets a foal from a mare she's sold, third makes no sense - however I would agree to first right of refusal at fair market value, and the fourth comes across as overbearing.
The first and third worry me most - you're adding value to the mare but won't profit at all from it, but she may if you ever decide to sell.
Posted via Mobile Device

DuffyDuck 07-30-2012 06:36 PM

Agree 1000% with SR.

There are plenty of nice mares out there without the baggage.
You don't marry a guy and get a list of instructions of his mum or she gets him back.

This woman is setting you up to fail.

Taffy Clayton 07-30-2012 06:36 PM

I would not agree to any of those conditions, even if the horse was free, much less paying $4000 for it.

It must be quite the horse.

GhostwindAppaloosa 07-30-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oxalie (Post 1622851)
I would like to have your opinion on this issue.

Everything started with a mare that wasn't for sale. I told the owner that I like her mare and i would like to buy it from her. After few weeks, she agreed to sell it to me for 7k with a payment plan and several conditions. After few weeks of negotiation, she droped the price to 4K and she added one condition: I have to take care of her actual foal until she sells it. I have no issues with this condition, but after that, she added more conditions. Here is the new terms:

1- The mare must be approved by Sport Horse Association

2- The actual owner wants the right to request one new foal from the mare at any time (2, 3, 10 years after the sell)

3- If I decide to sell the mare, I must give her the first choice and I must sell the mare at the price that I've bought it (4000$).

4-(the part I'm not comfortable with) The actual owner have full rights to decide which blacksmith I'll use until she get her foal from the mare.


Is anyone have already had a similar issue? Is these terms and conditions to the sell make sens?


Thanks guys!

I wouldnt agree to any of those terms EXCEPT possibly the first right or refusal. Thats a pretty common one.. that if you do go to sell her you would give her first right/refusal.. and often it will be same purchase price.. hwoever many things can change. you can put money/training into her etc. I'd say you'd give her first right of refusal but at whatever her current sale price is and not the 4k.

cmarie 07-30-2012 09:16 PM

The only conditions I would consider are the right to buy back and to keep the foal if not weaned until weaning, the others are really not reasonable. And if you are doing a payment plan don't be late on a payment because it sounds like the owner would take the mare back and you would be out what you paid to her.

JustDressageIt 07-30-2012 09:23 PM

First right of refusal is common, yes, but I would never agree to the stipulation of it being the purchase price - what if you put time and training into a horse that was bought for $1000 and is now worth $10,000?
Nope. First right of refusal only for the horse's asking price.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirls Boots 07-30-2012 09:28 PM

125 Attachment(s)
If she wants to be so controlling over the horse then she should probably just keep it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ace80908 07-30-2012 11:07 PM

What if, God help you, the foal or mare dies in your care - regardless of circumstance - this woman would sue you for full cost (her determination of value, of course) PLUS damages ....

Agree with the others, but if you bought this mare, I would wait until foal weans, come get the mare and NO CONDITIONS.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0