The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   am i worryingvto much?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/am-i-worryingvto-much-132879/)

barrelbeginner 07-30-2012 06:05 PM

am i worryingvto much??

A couple days ago maybe aweek or two ago sunnys lope was off. It just was choppy annd looked like he was not enjoying it. So i cooled him off messaged his legs and didnt ride for a week. Until today. I got on him and it was now as if his back leg kept giving out and he was tripping over nothing. At just a walk. I continuedvto do some light rider with him as i was riding to my friends house.

Sunny got his shoes off aboutr 2 weeks ago or so. So maybe is he off because of thay?
Now back to the ride.. He was very wierd about his feet every couple steps and when we were doing just fine he fell. We were just walking too.. It came right outta the blue. And whem i say fell i mean onto his knees so hard they were bleeding. I turnedvright aroundvwalked him home.... And hosed his knees down and put vetrcyn on them... Im so worried about him. Im going to tlk to my dad about havinf the vet come out.

Iis that a good idea or could this be from getting his shoes off??

Annanoel 07-30-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrelbeginner (Post 1622920)
A couple days ago maybe aweek or two ago sunnys lope was off. It just was choppy annd looked like he was not enjoying it. So i cooled him off messaged his legs and didnt ride for a week. Until today. I got on him and it was now as if his back leg kept giving out and he was tripping over nothing. At just a walk. I continuedvto do some light rider with him as i was riding to my friends house.

Sunny got his shoes off aboutr 2 weeks ago or so. So maybe is he off because of thay?
Now back to the ride.. He was very wierd about his feet every couple steps and when we were doing just fine he fell. We were just walking too.. It came right outta the blue. And whem i say fell i mean onto his knees so hard they were bleeding. I turnedvright aroundvwalked him home.... And hosed his knees down and put vetrcyn on them... Im so worried about him. Im going to tlk to my dad about havinf the vet come out.

Iis that a good idea or could this be from getting his shoes off??

I would think the majority of it would be from being barefoot after having shoes. The shoes keep most of the heel off the ground, so when taken off the foot is a little more tender than normal until given a chance to harden up. I would take it easy and let him get used to no shoes. I would give your farrier a call and discuss it with him. I would also say put some iodine on the bottom of his hooves once or twice a week. My farrier reccomended this for my gelding who has very soft feet. Good luck and take it easy! His feet will harden with time and he will be fine.

barrelbeginner 07-30-2012 06:13 PM

OH^^^ thank you for saying that! !!! I figured that but then again its been a while since he has got his shoes off and he was fine, and since a week ish maybe less maybe a little more.. he has been soo off..

Annanoel 07-30-2012 06:16 PM

I would keep watching him, talk to your farrier maybe have him come out and take a look. If he thinks it's not the hoof then I'd continue down the line and have the vet come out. Different horses take longer to adjust with / without shoes. You're welcome!

barrelbeginner 07-30-2012 06:17 PM

should i add some info on him.. he is 5 and we barrel race.. or are getting into barrel racing. He had shoes on before and he didn't take that long to harden up so that's why I'm freaking out..

Annanoel 07-30-2012 06:22 PM

Is this the guy that got stuck in the fence?

barrelbeginner 07-30-2012 06:23 PM

yes, but its not that bad, like the cuts aren't deep. and he was like this before the fence incident.. oh BTW we fixed the fence:))

barrelbeginner 07-30-2012 06:24 PM

the cuts are as if he was shaved down to his skin.. ya know.. like no blood or anything..

Annanoel 07-30-2012 06:27 PM

Okay, I would again call the farrier. I know if my guy has problems my farrier won't hesitate to talk and give some advice. If it sounds bad to him he will most likely come out the same day to take a look and make sure everything's okay. It's hard to tell sometimes what is going on but if the cuts aren't that bad, I would still point to the hooves. Let us know if you find anything out! Could you possibly get pictures of his feet at all?

barrelbeginner 07-30-2012 06:31 PM

ya i put him in a smaller pen over at my house that way i could have my dad look at him. If you want i will go take some pictures and try to put them on.. this computer doesn't work as well. I might have to wait until tomorrow to go to the library and upload them then, but i could try,

on his hoofs he has rings( i dont think they are ringbone rings all my horses have them) and on one he has a absence that used to be there now its gone, well i think it was an absece im not completly sure.. do you have a picture of a horse with slight ringbone that i could compare to.. i have one on a different thread that is my other horse.. it looks like the horses hoof ill try to find it..

sorry if that made no sense lol