The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/)
-   -   Running to Greet me and almost knocks me and the gate down (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-videos/running-greet-me-almost-knocks-me-132896/)

tbrantley 07-30-2012 08:58 PM

Running to Greet me and almost knocks me and the gate down

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=FLoP2_IDr82b3KcmIdYYcmdw>I have about seven horses and they are all easy to catch.. They can be in the back field and i will whistle and they come running. I take each one out and feed them, brush them down and give them some TLC. Then I put them in the field. When I get a new horse he picks up on what the others are doing and it isn't long that he is trained to come to my whistle. They don't even mine if they are coming to be ridden because they get so much TLC. Any time I go to the gate that I take them out of they come running and stand there waiting their turn. Yes, I guess there is a close bond between us which sure makes my life easier. The time that I would have spent trying to catch them I get to spend time with them developing that bond. This horse he was so excited that he continued to run almost into the gate almost knocking my phone out of my hand..:-o

waresbear 07-30-2012 09:00 PM

Handy dandy you don't have to walk out to the back 40 to get horses, HOWEVER, now you need to train them to approach YOU, the frail human, easy breakable bones, at only a walk.

tbrantley 07-30-2012 09:09 PM

Your exactly right!! This horse always seems to be an over achiever. He wants to be the first at everything. He is getting better ,but now I stand back away from the gate and wait to he comes to a full stop and settles down. Then I let him out of the gate. He is a gentle man wants I put the leads on him...

Did you have any trouble viewing the video?

waresbear 07-30-2012 09:16 PM

Yes, the link doesn't work.

tbrantley 07-30-2012 09:20 PM

Sorry, I am trying to learn how to add a video. I guess I still don't know what I am doing. My sons are not here to show me how. I will try it again..

tbrantley 07-30-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbrantley (Post 1623169)
Sorry, I am trying to learn how to add a video. I guess I still don't know what I am doing. My sons are not here to show me how. I will try it again..

Here I go trying it again; wish me luck!!!:oops:

Jore 07-31-2012 09:38 PM

If only I could get Major looking that excited to see me.. it takes me about three minutes of whistling to get him on his way. He'll look up, walk a step or two, and start eating again. Usually the other gelding in with him will start going and Major decides to follow.. but rarely has Major ever broken into even a canter to come to the gate, haha.

tbrantley 07-31-2012 09:48 PM

Yes, how your Major does is the way all my other horses do. They slowly make their way toward the gate. But this horse gets excited when its his turn to come out of the field. He hears his name he rushes to beat the others to the gate. I think it is funny now but I don't open that gate or stand in front of it until he settles down. He prances around as to show the other horses that he is the special one and he gets the special treatment this time. LOL