The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Treating Ulcers, please help:'( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/treating-ulcers-please-help-132916/)

AbbyLee 07-30-2012 10:44 PM

Treating Ulcers, please help:'(

I am very convinced that my quarter horse mare has gastric ulcers. She has not been checked by the vet yet, but in case she does have them I have been researching treatments for ulcers. Stuff like Ulcergard costs over $30 a day for 30 days, so about $900 total. I am crying right now because I know we can't afford that. Is there any other treatments?

verona1016 07-30-2012 10:48 PM

I'm in a similar situation- my horse has some symptoms of ulcers (poor appetite, girthiness, cribbing) but has not been scoped. My vet recommended against scoping unless it would change what I was going to do, and since I can't really afford $1000 for omeprazole, I don't think it would change my course of action.

I'm about to start my horse on Succeed, a supplement which is supposed to help the whole digestive tract. I previously had my horse on U-gard and ProBios, and saw some improvement, but not enough. I wish I could tell you now whether or not it works, as it's quite pricey, but I haven't even received the first order yet :-P

There are a number of herbal remedies that are supposed to help, as well. Aloe vera juice, licorice, marshmallow root, and slipper elm bark and commonly recommended and can be purchased in bulk online.

Poseidon 07-30-2012 10:49 PM

My vet gave me an external wound cleaner called Draw that I diluted and put into my mare's grain. It cost me $80 for a month and worked perfectly fine because it was high in magnesium. I don't think I have the link to where I finally found it online anymore, but you could ask your vet about it.

I keep my mare on Ugard for the last year and a half as a preventative to them recurring, as the only cause my vet and I could think of for her ulcers was her anxiety, which I can't do much about other than a calming supplement also.

AnneGage 07-30-2012 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbyLee (Post 1623437)
I am very convinced that my quarter horse mare has gastric ulcers. She has not been checked by the vet yet, but in case she does have them I have been researching treatments for ulcers. Stuff like Ulcergard costs over $30 a day for 30 days, so about $900 total. I am crying right now because I know we can't afford that. Is there any other treatments?

The less expensive treatment is the generic medication, Omeprizole. It is available in the individual tubes (like Gastrogard), but is also available in liquid form in a bottle which I think is a bit cheaper. The medication kick starts the healing of any existing ulcers.

You can also help your mare by managing her diet. Take her off any and all grain. Add alfalfa hay or cubes (soaked) to her diet. The alfalfa naturally helps buffer the gut acid.

Magnesium Citrate (about 3000 mg/day) is a natural pain reliever that also buffers the gut acid and relieves stress and nervous tension.

A good probiotic (50 - 60,000 billion CFU's daily) helps get the digestive tract back in good order. Make sure you get one that is kept refrigerated to ensure the bacteria is kept alive. Check your local health food store for the probiotic. Just ask for one that is in a powder or capsule form (the kind of capsules you can break open to sprinkle the powder on her food).

If your mare is picky about eating hay, try supplementing her diet with soaked beet pulp mixed with the alfalfa cubes. The more frequently she eats, the less acid will build up in her digestive tract. So, several small meals throughout the day - or grazing if you are lucky enough to be in an area that has grass this summer - is much better than a couple of large meals a day.

Good luck. I hope your mare is feeling better very soon.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 07-31-2012 01:04 AM

I've known of success with treating ulcers with papaya

because it contain papain which I've also fed to my boyfriend for heart burn... papain is a naturally occuring enzyme which resembles pepsin which stimulates the appetite, soothes membranes of the esophagus and stomach, and quiets inflammatory bowel disorders. Papaya also contain Vitamin A, Vitamin C, calcium, iron, niacin, potassium, riboflavin, and thiamin

as stated above the reason this generally works is because of the ratio of magnesium and calcium long with the very important papain

unlike other medicinal treatments which aren't always safe for longterm use or ... practical $$$... papaya is affordable and can be used everyday

Two ounces shredded in with his feed should help with the ulcers and sooth his tummy

Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-heal...#ixzz22GdkAFuv

Also papaya can be used as a prep for anti inflamatories because it coats the stoumach and makes it more able to absorb the medicine.

also for the eventers out there it prevents caustic burn that sometimes is associated with feeding electrolytes to horses which damages the esophagus and stoumach. especially prevelent when feeding frequent doses of electrolytes.

helps old horses with digestion, young horses with scours, mild blood thinner... the list goes on and on...

end of story is its cheaper than 900$ and maybe worth a try or talking over with your vet

Klassic Superstar 07-31-2012 01:14 AM

Smart pak has good supplements
Also aloe era gel helps calm the irritated places.
Try those first then if not better cunsult your vet

walkinthewalk 07-31-2012 07:32 AM

Some years back, the vet suspected my Arab of having gastric ulcers.

He preferred not to scope Streeter. He sold me a 30 day supply of liquid Omeprazole. His comment was, if this horse has ulcers, I would see him a difference in him in a couple hours.

He said if the horse did not have ulcers, the Omeprazole would not alleviate the symptoms and would not harm him. I was to then call back ASAP and they would run some tests.

Sure enough, after the first dose of Omeprazole found my Arab with his head and ears up, and ready to eat grass, instead of standing in a depressed state wanting to eat but wouldn't.

Succeed now has a method to check for foregut and hind gut ulcers by using a fecal sample. SUCCEED FBT for Horses Uses Antibodies to Detect Occult Blood in Feces | SUCCEED FBT

It was accurate in diagnosing hind gut ulcers in my TWH with Equine Metabolic Syndrome. If it's equally as accurate in testing for stomach ulcers, the horse and the owner might be able to be saved the grief of scoping.

LonesomeRanch 08-01-2012 10:23 AM

All of those ideas are great. However, im curious what the symptoms are. Sometimes you need to also treat them for hindgut ulcers as well. A good friend of mine has an arabian prone to ulcers. She soaks alfalfa cubes and feeds them with her grain at every meal. I have a mare with a hindgut absorption problem, suspected of hindgut ulcers. We both give our horses Platinum Performance, it has biosponge, coats the stomach. Works well. Its a scoop twice a day. Costs $57 for a bucket that lasts about a month or so. For bad flare ups, I keep biosponge in my refridgerator, and give a half a tube. You can look all those up. The biosponge helps with diarrhea from hindgut problems. Its $10 a tube via amazon.com or the vet for about $15.

I also read some about home remedies of pumpkin seed powder and such. Ill have to see if I still have the website saved.
Posted via Mobile Device

LonesomeRanch 08-01-2012 10:29 AM

This may be helpful to you

stomach ulcers in horses and hind gut ulcers
Posted via Mobile Device

walkinthewalk 08-01-2012 11:21 AM

The symptoms in my horse were two big colics within four weeks when he's never had a tummy twinge a day in the 22 years he's been with me.

It was the ER vet that suggested taking a fecal back with her to the office and it tested positive using the Succeed Kit.

He also has Equine Metabolic Syndrome, a/k/a peripheral cushings. You would never know to look at him that anything's wrong.

His coat is short and tight, he's slick as a peeled onion, his hooves shine, eyes bright/alert, ears always up and still the strong alpha-dominant in my herd of four.

People expect to see an old reprobate after everything I say but the icing on the cake is gorgeous --- it's the cake that's becoming flawed:-(