The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Taking a hiatus <3 I will miss you all! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/taking-hiatus-3-i-will-miss-133029/)

Endiku 07-31-2012 06:46 PM

Taking a hiatus <3 I will miss you all!

Its been a long, hard thought through decision and though it almost makes me sick to think about it- I am going to follow through.

Fellow forumers, I'm letting you know that beginning the third week of August, I will be taking a fairly lengthy break not only from the forum, but from the computer completely, except for when needed for school.

I'm not really happy about making the decision, but I'm desperate to turn my lifestyle around and, hopefully, figure myself out and create a healthier and better life not only for me but for those around me.

For the past few years I've felt completely...out of it. Lethargic, slow to respond to things, and just over all very unhealthy- but I've ignored it for the most part. Even after having severe gallbladder problems and undergoing surgery, I just ignored everything thinking it was because of stress. I have severe migranes at least once, often twice- a week, and have a hard time concentrating on thngs that are important. This month, I decided that I'm going to change that.

Ofcourse, I wont only be getting away from the computer- that in itself probably won't do a lot for me. However, detaching myself from the forum and Facebook, which I spend the majority of my free time (I'm on 2+ hours a day) on, is keeping me from doing healthier things for both my brain and my body. Instead of the computer, I have decided that I will be using the time that I use on here surfing the web doing more productive things. Studying in hopes of bringing my grades up (they arent bad, I'm running a 3.75 GPA) But I feel like I can do better if I really apply myself), and exercising (I'd like to start running again if possible) to help myself become more physically fit.

Besides taking a break from the computer, I've also decided to start eating healthier and to completely eliminate high fats, caffine, and sugars (except for those in fruit and such) from my diet to see if it might help me sleep better, feel better when I wake up (right now I'm sleeping 9 hours and waking up exhausted. During the school year I barely get 6, and thus will feel even worse), and just over all have more energy and alertness. I drink 1-2 sodas a day and all kinds of junk like chips, candy, hot pockets, etc so its no wonder that I feel sluggish throughout the day. I'm fairly sure that I'm addicted to caffine and sugar as well, because my head will begin hurting if I don't drink atleast one soda.

I'm actually hoping that the changes will also help my migranes, but we'll see. I'm not fat or out of shape- quite the opposite actually, but I think I could be taking a LOT better care of myself, and at only 16- I'd hate to see myself affected for the rest of my life because I didnt make the necessary changes now.

I'm going to do a 'test run' for one school quarter, and look at my results then decide from there what to do. I may come back to the forum immediately, I might take a little longer. I do know though that regardless of what I decide, when I come back I will be limiting myself to 30 minutes or so on the computer at a time, no more.

With that said, you guys still get to be bugged by me for another 3 weeks, but after that I will be saying farewell to you all for a period of time. I will miss you greatly!

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-31-2012 07:17 PM

Good luck in your lifestyle changes, we'll miss you Endiku and look forward to your return!

And it's amazing the energy you get back when you start eating healthily. Lots of veges, complex carbs and a healthy portion of unprocessed meats go very far! And if you're cooking for yourself I'm more than happy to send you some recipes that are healthy but not at all boring :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Roperchick 07-31-2012 07:20 PM

good on ya! sounds like me and every other person that i work with on shift!

hope it works out for ya!

Golden Horse 07-31-2012 07:22 PM

That is a great decision to make for yourself, good luck with it.

Roperchick 07-31-2012 07:24 PM

uuuuuh PS though....you do realize that if Sour has her Babeh during said hiatus you HAVE to get on and give us pics!

waresbear 07-31-2012 07:30 PM

Oh yes, I understand the break from wasting time online (I rarely use a comp for entertainment, other than when I am work, mybad, lol), but you must make an exception when the baby arrives. Ok? Just allow yourself that once.

Endiku 07-31-2012 07:43 PM

Thank you all for the well wished. I really do hope that this helps me, and really don't want to keep going the way that I am. I'm far too young to be feeling like an old woman all of the time o.o

EvilHorseOfDoom- I will be doing some of my own dinner cooking, and preparing all of my own lunches/breakfasts, so meal ideas are appreciated! Especially lunch ideas. I've always just grabbed some Ramen (BAD ALLYSON! No more!) or a hotpocket and chowed down. I have NO idea what to prepare for myself. Whatever I make though, has to be fairly quick and packable. Its also not helpful that I have a lot of food restrictions anyways because I'm allergic to milk (I substitute with coconut milk though), all nuts except for pecans (so no almond milk, almond butter, nutella, etc), and cinnamon O_o I'm sure there are plenty of things to make, I just dont know what xD

As for Sour, I'm crossing my fingers that she'll foal BEFORE my hiatus- as she's technically due in two weeks. We'll see. THINK BABY-PUSHING THOUGHTS xD ofcourse, it doesnt really matter so long as the foal is healthy.

But yes, I think I can find it in my cold, dark heart to get on just once and post some pictures, just for you guys ;) I'm sure I'll be so excited that I'll be bursting anyways...haha

EvilHorseOfDoom 07-31-2012 08:08 PM

No problem, will cobble some of my creations/adaptations together in a PDF and send through to you as a link or something - unless I can work out how to do an attachment here.

With lunch, the trick is to make a double serve of dinner the night before, whenever you can, and put the remainder in a container. But I have some very snappy lunch recipes that don't require a lot of ingredients and can be made up at work without any cooking equipment apart from access to boiling water.

And YES, hiatus must be broken for piccies of the baby - but we'll chase you off once we've had our hit ;-)

Failbhe 07-31-2012 08:11 PM

you gotta do what you gotta do. I deleted my Facebook account about a year ago and I don't miss it at all. And yes - Sour Baby pictures MUST be posted!!! ;)

Paradise 07-31-2012 08:53 PM

Sounds like a good idea, and I can definitely relate. Best of luck with everything, it sounds like you have yourself pretty well figured out already.