The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   multiple horse show questions-classes, lead-line and canter lead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/multiple-horse-show-questions-classes-lead-133039/)

Rachel1786 07-31-2012 08:40 PM

multiple horse show questions-classes, lead-line and canter lead

I'm thinking about attending my very first horse show, it's on 9/16 so I have a little while to prepare. I've been riding since I was 12(I'm now 26) and I've never shown so I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. I've never been the type of person who likes attention. This is the class list and below I'll list the number to the class I have a question about.
1. Jr. Grooming & Showmanship
2. Sr. Grooming & Showmanship
3. Pee-Wee Grooming & Showmanship
4. Bare-back Horsemanship
5. Lead Line (8 & under)
6. Sr. Western Pleasure
7. Sr. Western Equitation
8. Jr. Western Pleasure
9. Jr. Western Equitation
10. Pee-Wee Pleasure W/T/J
11. Pee-Wee Equitation W/T/J
12. Open Western W/J ***
13. Break your gait and out (Eng & West)
14. Sr. English Pleasure
15. Sr. Hunt Seat Equitation
16. Jr. English Pleasure
17. Jr. Hunt Seat Equitation
18. Open English W/T ***
19. Jr. Hunter Hack-cross rails (18)
20. Sr. Hunter Hack over fence (2)
21. Open Trail (Jr/Sr Eng/West)
22. Jr. Montana Keyhole
23. Sr. Montana Keyhole
24. Jr. Pole Bending
25. Sr. Pole Bending
26. Barrel Dash
27. Bleeding Heart
28. Jr. Cloverleaf Barrels
29. Sr. Cloverleaf Barrels

#2 is that just shown in hand? how well you horse is groomed and braided and such?

#4, I have a son who will be 5 and is starting to show interest in riding. What exactly happens in a lead line class? Would he have to trot or just walk? Does he have to have a lead line saddle?

#13 I have no idea what this class entails. lol

#14,15,18 What are the differences between these classes?

#21 What do they ask for in a trail class?

#26 this is barrel racing with only one barrel instead of 3 correct?

#27, I'm assuming this is a speed event of some sort?

Ok sorry for all the questions. One last one. I would be taking the one lesson horse, but the past few months it's become nearly impossible to get her to pick up her left canter lead. What classes(if any) ask for a canter and should I not enter the class since chances are we will be on the wrong lead and I doubt I'll be able to get her to change it. I'm assuming I would be judged poorly for that :lol:

waresbear 07-31-2012 09:04 PM

Class 1 I am assuming is judged on a showmanship pattern and given extra credit/points for exceptional grooming, so yes banded, etc. Class 4 is horsemanship, usually a pattern posted before the class & rail work, ridden bareback, doesn't list ages so is probably an open class. 13, I have no idea either, lol. 14 is senior (age group, usually over 18 yrs) english pleasure, that is judged on how well your horse goes, manners, how pleasurable he looks to ride. 15 is senior hunt seat, this is judged on your horses gaits and how well you ride them, typically a more forward seat, shorter stirrups, more forward moving, like you could jump a hunt course. 18 is open for all ages, English, walk, trot, no canter, typically for beginners, sometimes if you enter this class you cannot enter any other riding classes, no cross entries. 21, open, all ages, West. & Eng (sorry never seen it done Eng.) but in western, there is usually a bridge, a gate, poles to trot over, back through and sidepass, and various other obstacles, like picking up a bucket off of a barrel and setting it down on another barrel, etc. Sometimes loping over logs. 26 & 27, sorry, not familiar with speed games much. Good Luck!

Rachel1786 07-31-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1624974)
I'm thinking about attending my very first horse show, it's on 9/16 so I have a little while to prepare. I've been riding since I was 12(I'm now 26) and I've never shown so I'm a little nervous about the whole thing. I've never been the type of person who likes attention. This is the class list and below I'll list the number to the class I have a question about.
1. Jr. Grooming & Showmanship
2. Sr. Grooming & Showmanship
3. Pee-Wee Grooming & Showmanship
4. Bare-back Horsemanship
5. Lead Line (8 & under)
6. Sr. Western Pleasure
7. Sr. Western Equitation
8. Jr. Western Pleasure
9. Jr. Western Equitation
10. Pee-Wee Pleasure W/T/J
11. Pee-Wee Equitation W/T/J
12. Open Western W/J ***
13. Break your gait and out (Eng & West)
14. Sr. English Pleasure
15. Sr. Hunt Seat Equitation
16. Jr. English Pleasure
17. Jr. Hunt Seat Equitation
18. Open English W/T ***
19. Jr. Hunter Hack-cross rails (18”)
20. Sr. Hunter Hack over fence (2’)
21. Open Trail (Jr/Sr Eng/West)
22. Jr. Montana Keyhole
23. Sr. Montana Keyhole
24. Jr. Pole Bending
25. Sr. Pole Bending
26. Barrel Dash
27. Bleeding Heart
28. Jr. Cloverleaf Barrels
29. Sr. Cloverleaf Barrels

#2 is that just shown in hand? how well you horse is groomed and braided and such?

This should have said #5 #4, I have a son who will be 5 and is starting to show interest in riding. What exactly happens in a lead line class? Would he have to trot or just walk? Does he have to have a lead line saddle?

#13 I have no idea what this class entails. lol

#14,15,18 What are the differences between these classes?

#21 What do they ask for in a trail class?

#26 this is barrel racing with only one barrel instead of 3 correct?

#27, I'm assuming this is a speed event of some sort?

Ok sorry for all the questions. One last one. I would be taking the one lesson horse, but the past few months it's become nearly impossible to get her to pick up her left canter lead. What classes(if any) ask for a canter and should I not enter the class since chances are we will be on the wrong lead and I doubt I'll be able to get her to change it. I'm assuming I would be judged poorly for that :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1625009)
Class 1 I am assuming is judged on a showmanship pattern and given extra credit/points for exceptional grooming, so yes banded, etc. Class 4 is horsemanship, usually a pattern posted before the class & rail work, ridden bareback, doesn't list ages so is probably an open class. 13, I have no idea either, lol. 14 is senior (age group, usually over 18 yrs) english pleasure, that is judged on how well your horse goes, manners, how pleasurable he looks to ride. 15 is senior hunt seat, this is judged on your horses gaits and how well you ride them, typically a more forward seat, shorter stirrups, more forward moving, like you could jump a hunt course. 18 is open for all ages, English, walk, trot, no canter, typically for beginners, sometimes if you enter this class you cannot enter any other riding classes, no cross entries. 21, open, all ages, West. & Eng (sorry never seen it done Eng.) but in western, there is usually a bridge, a gate, poles to trot over, back through and sidepass, and various other obstacles, like picking up a bucket off of a barrel and setting it down on another barrel, etc. Sometimes loping over logs. 26 & 27, sorry, not familiar with speed games much. Good Luck!

Thanks, that's very helpful, I realized I meant to ask about #5, lead line, but I put #4 lol. Do you know anything about lead line classes?

oh and are English pleasure and hunt seat W/t or w/t/c?

aforred 08-01-2012 01:14 AM

#5 Your son would be asked to walk, turn around, stop and back up, with as little help from you as possible. It is an Equitation class.

English pleasure would be walk, trot, canter both directions, and maybe extended gaits. Hunt seat eq will be a pattern that will probably include walk, trot, canter, stop, back, turn on forehand or haunches, followed by rail work.

Grooming and showmanship is probably just showmanship. Excellent grooming is required for the class anyway.

Waresbare nailed the trail class. I would just add that there may be walk over poles or serpentines. Not sure, but I don't think many organizations ask for ground tying anymore. You might see a water box though. One obstacle that I see that a lot of horses don't like is picking up a yellow saddle slicker and carrying it to another location. The most fun obstacle I ever had was a mailbox full of oreos.

Have fun!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints on my heart 08-01-2012 12:15 PM

A lead line class for our area is basically you bring the child in on a horse, your leading it and the child is holding on to the mane or on a leadline saddle, you walk a lap and line up and everyone gets a particapation ribbion but other places ive heard that you are just standing next to the horse and you just make sure the child doesnt fall off