The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Well ... It's Too Late Now (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/well-its-too-late-now-133104/)

Randella 08-01-2012 12:50 PM

Well ... It's Too Late Now

1 Attachment(s)
So, Jag and I seem to be having a misunderstanding about his mane. I try to keep it nice and trimmed to a decent length, and keep it untangled, etc. However he is determined to make my life a living hell >.>

I thought I'd get smart, and braid it all to one side to help keep it on the one side (his sometimes ends up on both sides, and that drives me nuts!) and to keep it from getting tangled up with goodness knows what. I went away for a few days, and received emails from my BO saying that Jag had been rubbing his head and neck on the fences a lot, and there had been some strands of hair left behind. I thought nothing of it, and went out when I got home to find that half his mane had been torn away on the fences. I just about died.

Frizzy, kinked, and only half of his mane remaining, Jag stood proudly in front of me and nickered while I tumbled through a million profanities in my head.

"THAT'S IT!" I thought, and took him into the barn. I had a brilliant idea. "I'll teach him to bugger with his mane" I thought.

So I took scissors and just started snipping. And somehow it ended up like this:

Randella 08-01-2012 12:52 PM

.... I took my clippers to it this morning, so it's not so chunky and uneven.

So I guess we're embarking on the "roached" look now. However I didn't think about the fact that I no longer have mane to grab in order to haul my butt in the the saddle -facepalm-

BarrelracingArabian 08-01-2012 01:23 PM

Haha awww he looks good with it though. I had that problem with the gelding i was on for awhile he only rubbed one xhunk out though and it drove me crazy.
Posted via Mobile Device

GreenBackJack 08-01-2012 01:26 PM

Poor guy. It was probably bugging the hell out of him so he did what we all would do...scratch!
I'd probably put a little extra fly spray on his neck since he's now without his personal fly protection.

Randella 08-01-2012 01:37 PM

I think the braids were bothering him, maybe one of the elastics was pulling or something, who knows! lol

He gets fly sprayed twice a day, in the morning, and then again around 6 or 7pm so he's covered there!

And trust me he doesn't look good lol he looks like a polo pony :p

Hoofprints on my heart 08-01-2012 08:09 PM

yes i had the same thing happen except i buzzed the rest across so we had a mohawk going now its long enough to band(Yah) were hopeing to be able to braid by fair but it doesnt look like its going to happen =/

waresbear 08-01-2012 08:15 PM

He was itchy, so he scratched. Can't blame him, I like the buzz cut.

Failbhe 08-01-2012 08:15 PM

If it's any consolation, my little miniature gelding's mane was driving me nuts so I hogged it. Clipped it all off. And it grew back so much nicer than it was before, a lot smoother and more manageable. So hopefully when his grows back it will do the same!

Destane 08-01-2012 09:08 PM

That's..... Hilarious...

NevCowgirl 08-01-2012 09:16 PM

Aww I think I would cry! Especially after all of that hard work! Hopefully it will grow back quick and better then it was! Goodluck