The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   APHA Hunters! (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/apha-hunters-133110/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-01-2012 12:48 PM

APHA Hunters!
 
Sooooo I've been doing Hunters for about 4 months now (after 3 years of Eventing), and I'm beginning to see that my mare may be a better mover for APHA Hunters (can't do AQHA since she's a Paint!).

I have no clue about Paint Hunters though, can anyone tell me how it differs from regular Hunters (besides the obvious movement differences) and anyone know how I could look up some local shows (I live in northeast Ohio)?

I'm excited at the idea! :D

Coffeejunkie 08-01-2012 01:57 PM

OPHC shows offer hunter hack at the POR shows (4 judge). They don't offer hunter over fences. i have done a lot of traveling and the only show I've seen hunter o/f run is APHA world. If you're interested in Ohio paint shows, check out our site at ophc.org. We have a show this Saturday, and next sat/sun- both in Lima at the fairgrounds. In ohio, Youth entries are free at non POR shows. APHA/stall/camping etc still applies.

kaykat31 08-01-2012 03:40 PM

I did some 4-H/FFA & a little bit of APHA growing up, along with horse judging for FFA. Most APHA(and AQHA) hunters go around much more like western pleasure horses. Their gaits aren't as forward as regular hunters(although they are more forward than WP classes), they have a flatter and lower head & neck, and you ride with a much looser rein. You don't have the WBs & TBs in there though, so I feel like the movement isn't as competitive as in regular.

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-01-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeejunkie (Post 1626039)
OPHC shows offer hunter hack at the POR shows (4 judge). They don't offer hunter over fences. i have done a lot of traveling and the only show I've seen hunter o/f run is APHA world. If you're interested in Ohio paint shows, check out our site at ophc.org. We have a show this Saturday, and next sat/sun- both in Lima at the fairgrounds. In ohio, Youth entries are free at non POR shows. APHA/stall/camping etc still applies.

Neat! I'll have to check you guys out! :D

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-01-2012 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaykat31 (Post 1626190)
I did some 4-H/FFA & a little bit of APHA growing up, along with horse judging for FFA. Most APHA(and AQHA) hunters go around much more like western pleasure horses. Their gaits aren't as forward as regular hunters(although they are more forward than WP classes), they have a flatter and lower head & neck, and you ride with a much looser rein. You don't have the WBs & TBs in there though, so I feel like the movement isn't as competitive as in regular.

Yeah that's what is driving my interest...because my mare is not ground covering like the regular Hunters are, and would prefer a longer headset on a looser rein too. Here's a video of us at our last horse show...my trainer is always telling me to pick her head up so unfortunately now for her that has translated to her sticking her nose out ahead of the vertical...but knowing how she likes to travel I know it wouldn't be hard to get her back into long and low rather quickly.

And this is with me riding her NAGGING with 1" spurs on, and this is all the faster I can get her to go LOL!!

(she's the buckskin)

kaykat31 08-01-2012 06:08 PM

Yeah, she looks perfect for it once she drops her head alittle more, and you won't even have to nag her for speed anymore! They even have special classes for solid paints too. (:

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-01-2012 09:40 PM

Oh cool!!! :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-01-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coffeejunkie (Post 1626039)
OPHC shows offer hunter hack at the POR shows (4 judge). They don't offer hunter over fences. i have done a lot of traveling and the only show I've seen hunter o/f run is APHA world. If you're interested in Ohio paint shows, check out our site at ophc.org. We have a show this Saturday, and next sat/sun- both in Lima at the fairgrounds. In ohio, Youth entries are free at non POR shows. APHA/stall/camping etc still applies.

Looked at your show bill and just curious since I'm not familiar with these shows...what do the Trail classes consist of? I noticed some specifically for solid Paint bred horses which mine is :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Coffeejunkie 08-02-2012 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoofprints in the Sand (Post 1626664)
Looked at your show bill and just curious since I'm not familiar with these shows...what do the Trail classes consist of? I noticed some specifically for solid Paint bred horses which mine is :-)
Posted via Mobile Device

There are spb classes.. It is sometimes hit and miss w the number of entries though. I would recommend heading over to YouTube and searching AQHA or APHA trail. The obstacles you see will be similar to what they are doing. The courses can vary, usually consisting of a gate, bridge, lope overs, a back through, and other varying obstacles. You can also surf APHA.com and check out the rule book for a full description.

Hoofprints in the Sand 08-02-2012 07:57 AM

Oh neat! I've never done a trail class before, might be something fun to try out! :-) Not sure how well we'd do before I see the actual obstacles, but Sandie was an Eventer the past 3 years and looooves cross country so I've got to believe she would do whatever I pointed her at! And I know someone else in my old barn who does trail stuff once set up a bridge and Sandie walked, trotted, and cantered over it without even pausing! (I was a proud momma that day!) ;-)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:01 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0