The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Switched to a different feed, should I be doing alfalfa pellets as well? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/switched-different-feed-should-i-doing-133111/)

RebeccaMI 08-01-2012 01:02 PM

Switched to a different feed, should I be doing alfalfa pellets as well?

My gelding turned 22 this summer and he just didn't seem to be doing as well on the Gro 'N Win (ration balancer) as he used to, so after doing some research and talking to some different people I decided to switch him to Kalm Ultra by Tribute Horse Feeds.

It's been a week and a half since we finished up the transition from Gro 'N Win to Kalm Ultra. He's now getting 2lbs. of Kalm Ultra in the morning along with his joint and hoof supplements and another 2lbs. in the evening, and of course hay because there's no grass anywhere for him to eat. Should I add alfalfa pellets back into his diet? Or should I increase the amount of Kalm Ultra instead? Or should I get more fat supplement? (Or do I just need to calm down and be patient, LOL?)

Here's a link to the Kalm Ultra if you want to see the nutrition info...
http://www.tributehorsefeeds.com/cat...ltra-t91212-1/

loosie 08-02-2012 05:27 AM

Hi,

Looks like you need to feed a lot more of the Kalm than the Gro & Win? Kalm is also higher fat & energy, alfalfa is also high energy, so I'm guessing you want to put some weight on your horse? As for should you feed alfalfa with it, I'd say it depends particularly on protein & calcium levels & whether your horse can do with/afford to get any more, as alfalfa is particularly high in these nutrients among others. As an older horse, high protein may not be a good idea. I'd do a basic diet analysis. I use a mob called feedxl.com which I find fantastic. If you're already getting the Kalm, I'd contact the manufacturer & ask if you can speak to their nutritionist about it.

boomboom 08-03-2012 12:09 PM

I recently switched my ottb over to Kalm Ultra and the results I have seen are great ! I definetly think that adding the alfalfa pellets wouldn't hurt especially since there is no pasture or stick to timothy/alfalfa pellets. I would also up the Kalm Ultra as well to 3lbs a meal atleast.

Just be patient ! :)

RebeccaMI 08-03-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1626985)
Looks like you need to feed a lot more of the Kalm than the Gro & Win? Kalm is also higher fat & energy, alfalfa is also high energy, so I'm guessing you want to put some weight on your horse? As for should you feed alfalfa with it, I'd say it depends particularly on protein & calcium levels & whether your horse can do with/afford to get any more, as alfalfa is particularly high in these nutrients among others. As an older horse, high protein may not be a good idea. I'd do a basic diet analysis. I use a mob called feedxl.com which I find fantastic. If you're already getting the Kalm, I'd contact the manufacturer & ask if you can speak to their nutritionist about it.

It's not like he's a stick horse. If I had to score him on the scale from 1 to 9 I'd say he's a 4. I'd just like to see him put on a little weight so he's at a good weight going into winter. I know it can take several weeks so I'm just trying to start spinning my wheels early. :wink:

He used to get alfalfa pellets along with the Gro 'N Win and they didn't seem to cause him any problems. I talked with the lady who takes care of him for me as well as the barn manager at the big boarding barn where I buy the Kalm Ultra and we all think that adding alfalfa pellets back into his diet would not be a bad thing. Southwest Michigan is one of many areas in the country affected by drought, so the hay we've been able to get isn't bad but definitely isn't spectacular and is probably mostly grass without much (if any) alfalfa.

Now I just have to decide how much of the alfalfa pellets to feed him. I think I'll just call the vet's office and ask!