The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Tips on jump position? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/tips-jump-position-133118/)

maddisullivan 08-01-2012 01:46 PM

Tips on jump position?

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...50947956_n.jpg

This is a picture of me and my horse going over a 2'6" coop during a lesson. I know I should let up on the reins a bit, we've been working on the release. But other than that, is there anything I should work on? Thanks!

KatRocks 08-01-2012 02:36 PM

Relax your shoulders and arms, they look really stiff and hunched. Your back is nice and straight which looks great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Georgiam 08-11-2012 03:59 PM

Give slightly more with your hands to allow the horse to move his neck better in the landing. relax your shoulders and arms otherwise you may find it harder to balance, also try to sit up a bit more/ your position needs to be further away from the horses neck, to help the horse keep his balance. also point your toes forwards rather than to the side:) also your horse seems to be looking down instead of ahead which may also be due to the tightness in your reins, other than that good position with a to die for jump on that horse,hope i helped

Ashsunnyeventer 08-17-2012 08:56 PM

Relax- before the jump take a deep breath, roll your shoulders up back and down, and blink a few strides away. I know it sounds silly, but some people get really focused on the jump and it can throw away a perfect aproach. Otherwise just be very soft with your hands and follow your horses mouth. Good job :) I would kill for a leg like that :)

TuckerAndFinn 08-19-2012 11:51 AM

Well to start, your horse is absolutely gorgeous! (:
Like everyone before me said, try and take a few deep breaths before to jump in order to relax the shoulders. If possible, loosen your reins a bit. This way, you'll be able to get a better release, which is usually when your hands are under your chin.
I like your straight back and the fact that you're not leaning on his neck - you should always have a few inches between your chest and his neck. Your leg slipped back a tiiiinnnyyy bit but nothing to worry about. I really like how deep you are in your heels.

BCtazzie 08-19-2012 12:35 PM

I would say, toes in, release the hands more and don't compress so much on the lower jumps. What goes forwards has to come back.

darlaflack 08-19-2012 01:03 PM

All the above plus try and not round your shoulders. Your rein should be between your little finger and ring finger. Your pony is being very restricted by your lack of give, not allowing him to bascule. See if your trainer can work you on the longe no stirrups, no reins.

Hoofprints on my heart 08-22-2012 03:49 PM

basically all i see is that you need to RELAX!!!!!!! you need to also turn in your feet but basically you need to relax

jinxremoving 08-22-2012 04:14 PM

Holy! How long are those spurs you're wearing? Are you even wearing spurs? I hope I'm seeing some sort of illusion here because on my screen it looks like you're wearing 2 inch dressage spurs.

Strange 08-22-2012 04:35 PM

Definitely just relax. :) Jumping should be fun! Try not to overanalyze too much (I do it too, it's a hard habit to break!) and just breathe and count your strides to the jump. I've found counting really helps me focus, relax, and see my distances better (as long as I have a rhythmic, consistent canter).