The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   mare hasn't been in season. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/mare-hasnt-been-season-133125/)

Janna 08-01-2012 02:41 PM

mare hasn't been in season.
 
I've been keeping track of my mare cycles, and my qh mare has shown nothing for quite a long time. My tb mare was in very heavy about 2 Weeks ago. My qh mare normally makes quite a show out of it. She has her last foal January 16th and I've had her in a pasture only with mares and one gelding. The colt she had was weaned and left at 3 months (colt hadn't been nursing, was on feed/hay and she was drying up.) The other boys in a different pasture. and no horses sharing fence line. a month or two ago a friend came over and was like ”geez is she pregnant?”... I said no. no possible way..
she's wormed regularly, and is an easy keeper & pasture puff so I thought hay belly? Just fat.
But since I haven't seen any physical signs of her being in I'm kinda wondering... She had a week of being up my geldings butt but is over it. But she didn't show any other signs. Maybe she was in then ?

The gelding that was with her and the other mares was kind of new. I had him there for grass since he needed some weight on him. He never showed studdy behavior around the mares and was a more dominant type but was even ok with the boys. He had really loose skin where the testicles would be but it was empty. So either he was a crypt, that managed to do something that time or maybe she's just being really quiet.
or maybe even a false pregnancy?

I will probably call my vet and ask what he thinks here pretty soon.

wyominggrandma 08-01-2012 06:12 PM

Crypotorcids can breed, but they can't make a mare pregnant. The testicle up inside the belly is to warm and the sperm are not viable. The horse has to have a testicle in the scrotum to be able to produce viable sperm.

Janna 08-01-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 1626419)
Crypotorcids can breed, but they can't make a mare pregnant. The testicle up inside the belly is to warm and the sperm are not viable. The horse has to have a testicle in the scrotum to be able to produce viable sperm.

Yeah that's what I meant. Maybe he did manage to breed her.
I think its happened before

wyominggrandma 08-02-2012 10:42 AM

He could get an erection and breed her, but he CAN"T make her pregnant. If pregnant, it is not from the gelding you are talking about.
The sperm ARE NOT viable, meaning they are dead and can't make a mare pregnant.
Cryptorchids are not able to make a mare pregnant...... There HAS to be a testicle down inside the scrotum...............

Chiilaa 08-02-2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyominggrandma (Post 1627222)
He could get an erection and breed her, but he CAN"T make her pregnant. If pregnant, it is not from the gelding you are talking about.
The sperm ARE NOT viable, meaning they are dead and can't make a mare pregnant.
Cryptorchids are not able to make a mare pregnant...... There HAS to be a testicle down inside the scrotum...............

This is true... to a certain degree. OP said she has felt his scrotum and it was empty. Who is to say that it stays empty all year round? The OP would have to be feeling for any plums every few weeks to be absolutely certain that nothing had descended EVER. Until then, assuming that he is crypt 100% of the time is not accurate.

Janna 08-02-2012 03:27 PM

VIDEO0001 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!



video of her belly.

Kayella 08-02-2012 09:39 PM

This is kinda comical to me. I believe I have the gelding in question. I've only ha him for a month, but I can definitely tell you he's had no studly behavior whatsoever. He's actually 10-12 years old, contradicting the Coggins that were given to Tori. He does have loose skin in his nether regions, but it happens sometimes. I've never seen him drop, ever, even around my mare. He gets along with my proud cut gelding perfectly. My gelding, who is actually a 12 HH pony, is lead, and Gulliver minds him perfectly. Gulliver has perfect ground manners, and has never shown any aggression or stud behavior.

Now I believe Tori had Gulliver about a month. I've only had him for a month. In that time span, we have never suspected him to be a stud. At all. And I think you forgot to mention your mare is in her 20's? Maybe she just won't come into season any more. Who knows? Maybe a stud jumped the fence? Or maybe the stud that you keep on your property got in with her?

Also, it's far too early to notice foal movement. What you see moving around is most likely her gut.

Janna 08-02-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 1628216)
This is kinda comical to me. I believe I have the gelding in question. I've only ha him for a month, but I can definitely tell you he's had no studly behavior whatsoever. He's actually 10-12 years old, contradicting the Coggins that were given to Tori. He does have loose skin in his nether regions, but it happens sometimes. I've never seen him drop, ever, even around my mare. He gets along with my proud cut gelding perfectly. My gelding, who is actually a 12 HH pony, is lead, and Gulliver minds him perfectly. Gulliver has perfect ground manners, and has never shown any aggression or stud behavior.

Now I believe Tori had Gulliver about a month. I've only had him for a month. In that time span, we have never suspected him to be a stud. At all. And I think you forgot to mention your mare is in her 20's? Maybe she just won't come into season any more. Who knows? Maybe a stud jumped the fence? Or maybe the stud that you keep on your property got in with her?

Also, it's far too early to notice foal movement. What you see moving around is most likely her gut.


Umm the mares not in her 20s?
And no, stud hasn't gotten out.
I was saying him, as he's the only male that's been with.
I do think I said maybe false pregnancy? Just was watching her earlier and her belly was doing crazy things.
And I only had him for like 3 months? The Coggins you got came with him.

Janna 08-02-2012 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayella (Post 1628216)
This is kinda comical to me. I believe I have the gelding in question. I've only ha him for a month, but I can definitely tell you he's had no studly behavior whatsoever. He's actually 10-12 years old, contradicting the Coggins that were given to Tori. He does have loose skin in his nether regions, but it happens sometimes. I've never seen him drop, ever, even around my mare. He gets along with my proud cut gelding perfectly. My gelding, who is actually a 12 HH pony, is lead, and Gulliver minds him perfectly. Gulliver has perfect ground manners, and has never shown any aggression or stud behavior.

Now I believe Tori had Gulliver about a month. I've only had him for a month. In that time span, we have never suspected him to be a stud. At all. And I think you forgot to mention your mare is in her 20's? Maybe she just won't come into season any more. Who knows? Maybe a stud jumped the fence? Or maybe the stud that you keep on your property got in with her?

Also, it's far too early to notice foal movement. What you see moving around is most likely her gut.


Don't recall saying he has bad manners ? he was with both the boys and girls here, I never saw studdish behavior but he was more dominant here. But sincehe was the only male with her and she's been weird I was wondering.

Kayella 08-02-2012 10:10 PM

Sorry, I have no first hand experience with you, so I don't know the whole situation. I also never said that you pulled the coggins, just a bit of information I thought might help the situation. But no, I doubt there's a snowball's chance in H*ll that Gully bred your mare. From what I've seen, and from what Tori has seen, there has been no studly behavior. Neither of us have ever seen him drop at any point. The best thing to do is have your vet out. He's the only one who could quell your worries.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0