The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Trotting Issues (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/trotting-issues-133151/)

Hoofprints on my heart 08-01-2012 07:44 PM

Trotting Issues

Ive been riding for 8 years, my first 5 were spent @ a contesting barn and about 3 years ago i decided to go to english and I'm loving it but I'm having issues with the diagnols and wich one is right. The first instrutor i had just told me when to take a double bounce and I never really understood what that meant so I wnt to a new barn and the instructor keeps yelling at me for bieng on the wrong diagnol and Ive told her that i was never trained on wich one was wich but she never makes an effort to teach me so I was wondering if you guys could help. She keeps telling me rise and fall with the leg on the wall but does that emply that I rise when the leg is put down or up? Thanks!!

Ray MacDonald 08-01-2012 07:50 PM

When the shoulder on the wall moves forward, you rise.
When the shoulder goes back (or weight is put on that leg) you sit.

kindraeventing 08-02-2012 01:23 PM

I was told to rise and fall with the leg on the wall.

If that makes sense.

DancingArabian 08-02-2012 01:48 PM

Ride and fall with the leg on the wall. When the leg on the wall is forward, you should be up. To do a "double bounce" to get on the right diagonal means that when you are on the wrong diagonal, post to the down position for two beats instead of one and you'll "switch" diagonals and be with the correct one. You can also do it standing but I never see anyone do it that way.

I hope that makes sense to you!
Posted via Mobile Device

blue eyed pony 08-06-2012 01:33 PM

I change my diagonals standing when I'm riding in my close contact saddle, because it's nearly impossible to sit the trot in on my horse. I change them sitting when I'm in my dressage saddle because I can sit the trot for a few strides in that, and because it's "more proper".

But yes - rise and fall with your horse's outside leg.

KatRocks 08-06-2012 08:10 PM

When the Outside leg goes up you go up too, I find the double bounce easier than when you rise for two beats. Reallyyyyy slowww trots are great to get the feeling. I learned on a big lazy lesson horse and now I have a small pony who has a quick bouncy trot. So start off slow. I also hope your instructor isn't actually yelling at you...
Posted via Mobile Device