The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse shows teeth while working?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-shows-teeth-while-working-133156/)

MeganJoey57 08-01-2012 07:36 PM

Horse shows teeth while working??

Please excuse me if this is the wrong thread, I'm new here. Lol!

I just recently rescued a 2 year old paint stud colt, we have started his training and today he finally conquered lunging. He has not been started under saddle and he has never had a bit put in his mouth. So my question was that while we were lunging, he pulled back the corners of his lips to show his top
Row of teeth. He didn't have his lip curled back or anything, it was sort of like he was smiling. But while he was doing it he was chomping his front teeth pretty quickly. He didn't quit until we were done with excersise.

This is not the first time I've seen this. My cousin used to own a 1d barrel horse who also did this same exact thing. She had no health problems either. It always got me curious on what it meant And why she did it. Is it just a habit? Or does it mean something?

Kayty 08-01-2012 07:52 PM

If it was his first time carrying a bit, it would have felt very odd in his mouth. Curling his top lip is probably his way of showing that he was a bit confused about the chunk of metal in his mouth.
I recently put a bit on my two year old for the first time, and he just 'nodded' and flapped his lips together for a minute of so. They all have different traits ;)

I hope though that you were not lunging off the bit?

MeganJoey57 08-01-2012 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1626513)
If it was his first time carrying a bit, it would have felt very odd in his mouth. Curling his top lip is probably his way of showing that he was a bit confused about the chunk of metal in his mouth.
I recently put a bit on my two year old for the first time, and he just 'nodded' and flapped his lips together for a minute of so. They all have different traits ;)

I hope though that you were not lunging off the bit?

Oh no, he has never had a bit in before. That's why I was curious on what he was doing. We were lunging with just his halter, I'm not going to put a bit in his mouth until we get farther along in his training. He didn't roll or curl his lips, at the crease of his lips he would pull them back as far as possible, kind of resembled smiling :) lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayty 08-01-2012 08:24 PM

Whoops sorry, I misread your question!

That IS a bit odd, the only time I've seen them do that has been a pain response when they've been colicing. Will be interested to hear what others have to say

tinyliny 08-01-2012 08:50 PM

he was not doing the Flemin gesture? The thing that studs do when they scent a mare?

He was clacking his teeth together? Did he seem stressed about the lunging? ears pinned?

Kayty 08-01-2012 09:38 PM

That's what I thought tiny, curling his lip, but it doesn't sound like he's curling it, just pulling the corners of the lips back as lots of horses do as a pain reaction :/ ??

MeganJoey57 08-01-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1626578)
he was not doing the Flemin gesture? The thing that studs do when they scent a mare?

He was clacking his teeth together? Did he seem stressed about the lunging? ears pinned?

No it was definitely not the flemin. But yes, clacking his teeth together! He didn't have his ears pinned and he didn't seem uncomfortable or anything, thats why its so weird to me'
Posted via Mobile Device

MeganJoey57 08-01-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1626555)
Whoops sorry, I misread your question!

That IS a bit odd, the only time I've seen them do that has been a pain response when they've been colicing. Will be interested to hear what others have to say

I know it is rather weird. I've only seen it one other time in my cousins barrel horse, she always did it while she was working. Her horse was perfectly healthy and rode in a softer beetle style hackamore with a chain mouthpiece (can't remember what the bit was)
Posted via Mobile Device

MeganJoey57 08-01-2012 10:22 PM

Horse showing teeth | Stock Photo | iStock

It looks very similar to the photo I found on google that's attached above ^^ it's not an identical facial expression, but it's pretty close! But what gets me is he doesn't even have a bit in his mouth?
Posted via Mobile Device

NeuroticMare 08-02-2012 03:39 AM

Hmm, I see that he's a Paint.. just curious if his face/muzzle/lips are white?

My mare gets sunburned on her lips in the summer and if I don't treat it with A&D cream, she will gape her lips but leave her teeth close, I think like when we sunburn our lips (or have them very chapped).

She does it both with a bit, and without.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._4713714_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...7_186503_n.jpg