The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Bad ankle help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/bad-ankle-help-133179/)

flyonby 08-01-2012 10:29 PM

Bad ankle help

A few years ago I sprained my ankle in a weird way that damaged the ligaments right on top of my ankle. Ever since that ankle doesn't want to flex straight up and down, but instead my foot twists inward, shifting weight to the outside of my foot. You can see it in the wear pattern on my shoes. Anyway, today my instructor got confused because my stirrups were obviously the same length, but when she looked at my knees it looked like my right stirrup was shorter (she said my left leg position was perfect but my right leg looked off). I finally realized it was because that ankle was twisting, putting my weight on the outer edge of the stirrup. When I dismounted my my right knee hurt from its apparently being strained by my bad foot/ankle position (I haven't had this happen before, but I just started riding hunt seat so I think the shorter stirrups exacerbate any issues). I can put my ankle in the right position when I'm thinking about it, but it's hard to be always focusing on it while riding. So, I'm wondering if at least temporarily it would help to tape/wrap it in such a way to prevent it from moving side to side while still allowing it to flex upward. Is there anyone here who has this same problem? Do you know of a specific type of brace/wrap/taping method that might help me? I know how to -immobilize- my ankle, but I don't think I want to do that for riding...

Roperchick 08-02-2012 01:41 AM

i have the same problem. i broke my ankle in basic training and decided to be a genius and run on it for the last 3 weeks istead of going to the doctor. now when i ride my ankle turns in and its so painful like that that most of the time i ride my feet are out of the stirrups. but i tape it now and it does help, not only to keep my ankle straight but it doesnt hurt a much while riding and afterwards

tinyliny 08-02-2012 02:16 AM

My right ankle rolls inward, too. Even though, it was the left that I broke so many years ago. What troubles me is how it torques my knee.
I took out the stirrup rubber part (english filis irons) and made a pad out of thick felt that was wedge shaped, bigger on the outside, to kind of force my ankle to not roll outward onto the outer edge of the foot. then I put some Cashel stirrup pads over the small wedges (the wrap and velcro around) . It helps a little, not a lot, but a little.

Any kind of riding that uses longer stirrups will help. I dont' have any such pain when riding Western.

flyonby 08-03-2012 03:40 PM

Roperchick, glad to see I'm not the only genius out there! :D I sprained my ankle badly when I fell running the hurdles and then decided to keep hurdling on it for the rest of the season. Is there a specific way you tape it when you ride? Like I said I know how to immobilize it, but when I ride I want it to be able to flex up and down... not sure how to accomplish that with tape.

Tinyliny that's a great idea! Unfortunately I don't ride with my own saddle (don't have my own horse), but I'll keep that in mind for when I do get my own tack.

I do prefer to ride with longer or no stirrups, but right now I'm taking hunt seat lessons with an instructor I really like, and I've always much preferred english to western...so I've just gotta deal with it :P

Country Woman 08-03-2012 04:44 PM

because of my disability my right foot tends to go inward toward
the horses side