The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Which do you prefer: Nutrena or Purina? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/do-you-prefer-nutrena-purina-133206/)

EnduranceLover6 08-02-2012 10:01 AM

Which do you prefer: Nutrena or Purina?

Just wondering if anyone has experience feeding Nutrena Compete or Purina Strategy GX? I have a horse who is a hard-keeper and is also sensitive to sugar (so no sweet feed) and I'm searching for a good pelleted grain to add to his current ration (beet pulp, alfalfa pellets, vit/min supplement, rice bran).

poppy1356 08-02-2012 10:02 AM

If protein %, fat % and the main ingredients I'm looking for are the same, I go with the cheaper brand.

mls 08-02-2012 10:14 AM

Nutrena.

100%

The new line of SafeChoice is great. We feed the Perform to the hard working horses.

Speed Racer 08-02-2012 10:16 AM

Neither. I buy Blue Seal.

equiniphile 08-02-2012 10:17 AM

I love Nutrena products. I've used the Prime, Senior, and SafeChoice before, but have switched to SafeChoice for everyone because it works so well. Our TSC can't get the new SafeChoice Perform for some reason, though :-?

I've heard a lot of people complain about the inconsistency in Purina feeds.

SEAmom 08-02-2012 10:23 AM

I love strategy! It worked great for my growing arab when he was 1.5 years old. Beautiful coat, mane, and tail (especially when compared to how they looked when I got him), strong, healthy feet, vet checked and confirmed consistently for healthy weight gain and growth (his record was almost 2.5" inches just a couple of months after I got him), and getting into shape when we started doing more extensive ground work with him. I couldn't have been happier with the results I saw.
Posted via Mobile Device

EnduranceLover6 08-02-2012 10:26 AM

[QUOTE]I love Nutrena products. I've used the Prime, Senior, and SafeChoice before, but have switched to SafeChoice for everyone because it works so well. Our TSC can't get the new SafeChoice Perform for some reason, though :???:

Read more: http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutr...Lkf[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem =( My TSC doesn't carry the Perform...if it did that is probably what I would feed.

mls 08-02-2012 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1627183)
I've heard a lot of people complain about the inconsistency in Purina feeds.

Yep.

Cheap doesn't factor in when I am feeding our horses. They eat better than I do.

EnduranceLover6 08-02-2012 11:29 AM

So what makes Purina "CHEAP"?? I've heard great things about both Purina and Nutrena. Can anyone tell me WHY either is cheap or poor quality?

DrumRunner 08-02-2012 11:31 AM

I feed both.. I also think it really comes down to what works best for each individual horse.

I love, love Nutrena SafeChoice.. I am dying to get my hands on the SafeChoice Perform but it hasn't become available in my area yet.. I'm having to get it through a private dealer and they won't order it until they can order a pallet of it..

I also feed Purina Omolene 200..

I will say that when I go looking for direct answers from both Nutrena and Purina, Purina always answers my questions quickly and with great answers and information, where as Nutrena skirts the question and send me different links to articles or "studies"..