The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Rant....."horse owning" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/rant-horse-owning-13324/)

rodeogirl309 08-14-2008 01:41 PM

Rant....."horse owning"

Ok, so i have some friends who....long story short....

1) Have never taken lessons.
2) No one in their family has any knowledge of horses
3) Are telling me that when their family moves to more land...there getting horses.

Me: :shock:

Ok, NO WAY am I letting any of this happen.

Then I have another friend who does take lessons and has for most of her life (i think). And, she says shes getting 2 horses now (their barn is almost done in the building process). But, guess where she tells me shes looking for horses.........Petfinder.com

We all know that Petfinder only has horses that are rescues and stuff. And, should not be a first horse to anyone who doesn't have much experience with the "training" side of owning horses, or horses that have been abused and not cared for properly.

I'm just worried....for both my friends sake, and the horse(s) sake.

farmpony84 08-14-2008 01:58 PM

...my first horse was a rescue... I got him for $500... But I agree with you, rescues come with alot of luggage. It would be ok if she had a support group of knowledgable people physically there to help her though...

Have you tried to NICELY direct her elsewhere to look? Do you think her issue is a money issue and she's looking for "cheap"? Because I think you can find some pretty safe and healthy affordable horses out there if you look in the right places... maybe you should gently push her in the right direction?

The other friend... yeah... too many times I've seen people buy horse first, learn about horses next.............

Arrow 08-14-2008 02:17 PM

I just had lunch with a friend, and we both had a good venting sessions about a couple of non-mutual friends. We felt better after sharing, I can tell you! Come to a place like this for that, let off steam, we hear you! But at the end of the day, your friends will do what they will do, no matter what you say. Give some advice with a smile, then turn your attention to your own horse and have fun. You can't live their lives, they've gotta make their own mistakes. But come here and vent whenever you want, we'll listen!

Dumas'_Grrrl 08-14-2008 03:35 PM

Amen, Arrow...Amen!!! :wink:

ponyboy 08-14-2008 03:40 PM

Re: Rant....."horse owning"

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodeogirl309
Ok, so i have some friends who....long story short....

1) Have never taken lessons.
2) No one in their family has any knowledge of horses

I blame this phenomenon partially on celebrities. It seems that once people reach a certain level of wealth they get horses whether they particularly like them or not. Of course the celebrities can afford to hire someone to take care of their horses... problem is most other people can't.

rodeogirl309 08-14-2008 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84
...my first horse was a rescue... I got him for $500... But I agree with you, rescues come with alot of luggage. It would be ok if she had a support group of knowledgable people physically there to help her though...

Have you tried to NICELY direct her elsewhere to look? Do you think her issue is a money issue and she's looking for "cheap"? Because I think you can find some pretty safe and healthy affordable horses out there if you look in the right places... maybe you should gently push her in the right direction?

The other friend... yeah... too many times I've seen people buy horse first, learn about horses next.............

Haha, all I say to them is "Oh, yea? Thats cool" then just nod my head, keeping my mouth shut.

I really doubt the money is an issue. Where she lives....I don't exactly think so. Ha. Yea, I have explained to her where most of the horses on Petfinder come from, but I don't think it really connected. We talk a lot so I'm sure I'll will be in the know when it gets down to really searching for something that will work for her.

farmpony84 08-14-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodeogirl309
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84

That's because in the movies... Black Stallion, Black Beauty, Flicka... the horses are all abused and neglected and they fall in love with their child and they become a one person horse and they have this great bond and blah blah blah...

Haha, all I say to them is "Oh, yea? Thats cool" then just nod my head, keeping my mouth shut.

I really doubt the money is an issue. Where she lives....I don't exactly think so. Ha. Yea, I have explained to her where most of the horses on Petfinder come from, but I don't think it really connected. We talk a lot so I'm sure I'll will be in the know when it gets down to really searching for something that will work for her.

iridehorses 08-14-2008 05:22 PM

In a few months there will be a post from one of them saying that they have this wonderful horse that is so pretty and loves me so much. She loves to eat carrots from my hand but it tried to kill me. What should I do?

To be downright cynical, if not cruel, Ron White, the comedian wrote a book entitled: You Can't Fix Stupid.

Vidaloco 08-14-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iridehorses
In a few months there will be a post from one of them saying that they have this wonderful horse that is so pretty and loves me so much. She loves to eat carrots from my hand but it tried to kill me. What should I do?

To be downright cynical, if not cruel, Ron White, the comedian wrote a book entitled: You Can't Fix Stupid.

Hahahahaha That is so unfortunatly true.
One of the hardest things to take and the easiest to give is advise

kitten_Val 08-15-2008 09:23 AM

I don't think anything wrong with getting the rescued horse even as your first horse. I know NUMBER of people around who did that and VERY happy with the horse. I do have 2 rescues myself and would give credit to anyone who get a horse in bad situation. In fact some of the rescued horses are just lovely, athletic, and can do great in shows.

However I strongly recommend to get horse not from petfinder, but from a good(!) local rescue. In this case also if something goes wrong those rescues often take horse back. Also the good rescue does all evaluations (including riding, safety and all), so you pretty much know what you are getting.