The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Splash White & Overo Test results - Surprised! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/splash-white-overo-test-results-surprised-133268/)

Surayya 08-02-2012 07:16 PM

Splash White & Overo Test results - Surprised!

Started a new thread as the old one was from last yr :oops:

Got the test results for my filly just now & I'm a bit surprised at the results (aside from Tobiano) to be honest. :shock:

Overo Result:
N/N - No evidence for the altered sequence detected.

Sabino 1 Result:
N/N - No evidence of altered sequence detected.

Tobiano Result:
TO/TO - Two copies of altered sequence. Horse is homozygous for Tobiano. All offspring will inherit Tobiano.

Splashed White SW-1 Result:
N/N - No copies of SW-1 mutation.

Splashed White SW-2 Result:
N/N - No copies of SW-2 mutation.

Splashed White SW-3 Result:
N/N - No copies of SW-3 mutation.

Pic of filly
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...oad/Cynder.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ad/cynder3.jpg

So I'm going to HAVE to do her life registration as Tobiano now- until proven otherwise, as As far as the Pinto society goes, if they test neg for all Overo genes they are Tobiano period (which isn't necessarily a bad thing tbh :wink: ), nor will the breeder want to test her stallion now either

So where to from here?

I've read somewhere that there is a lab/ geneticist (not sure which/who), that is taking those horse's results whom should be Splash White, yet have tested neg for it- (I remember someone saying this is what had been done with their own horse/s who tested neg) to be part of an on going study for more splash white patterns.
Is this a line worth pursuing?
If so where is that/who do I contact please?

After coming on here I'd been convinced she wasn't "just" Tobiano & well I still believe she isn't "just" tobiano, she has proven to be neg for ALL Overo patterns that can be tested for aside from DW (which I dont think she comes close to having), so that is what Im going to have to call her- a Tobiano :| Isnt it? :-?

I also have to pass on the info to her breeder (she's on the pinto society)- who was told categorically & convinced that my filly & her stallion were only tobiano (that all her horses were in that regard, so thats what she tested for) & my filly's blue eyes came from being a buckskin tobiano.

I hadn't managed to convince her breeder 100% other wise yet, but she was open to testing her stallion based on my filly's results, however these results wont help one bit with proving that Tobiano's dont have face white, as science has so far disproven it in her case :twisted:

NdAppy 08-02-2012 07:23 PM

Where did you have her tested?

Poseidon 08-02-2012 07:23 PM

How strange but so interesting. She's definitely more than tobiano, but apparently she's got a different mutation of other white patterns that either aren't currently testable or the tests were wrong, which can happen. Strange.

Surayya 08-02-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NdAppy (Post 1627965)
Where did you have her tested?

US Davis

paintedpastures 08-02-2012 07:30 PM

Definitely surprised,I would be retesting.Labs have known to be wrong:shock:some more so than others:-(. Those blue eyes came from overo somewhere!!:wink:

Surayya 08-02-2012 07:35 PM

I gotta say I was shocked when I read them! I still am TBH- she has to have Splash or Frame surely to have the blue eyes & lack of colour!?!?! :-o

Her Sire:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...04288204_n.jpg

Her Dam:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...15_7567869.jpg

Neither should be "just" Tobiano, yet that is all my filly has tested positive for- I'd have thought that if BOTH parents had additional Overo genes present (as both have white on their faces) at least one pattern would be testable :shock:

Surayya 08-02-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedpastures (Post 1627970)
Definitely surprised,I would be retesting.Labs have known to be wrong:shock:some more so than others:-(. Those blue eyes came from overo somewhere!!:wink:

Whats the procedure for re-testing? Im in NZ so courier to USA is expensive!

The email says that if I have questions to email through VGL - which I will do when I get over being a stunned mullet!:shock::wink: It's just taken me totally off guard :oops:

Also was wondering if this has happened to anyone else & if so, what did they do?

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-02-2012 07:44 PM

It looks like your filly could be a moderately expressed Sabino, but not of the type they can currently test for. I know MANY Arabians who are Sabino but they do not carry the testable Sabino 1 gene. Hoping as they do more research that these genes will have tests developed because there are many things we've yet to learn about.

Chiilaa 08-02-2012 08:27 PM

The paper on splash made it clear that the geneticists involved believe there is more than three mutations that present as "splash". Testing negative for LWO AND splash with those blue eyes tells me for sure that she has an undiscovered splash gene. Sabino also has at least one more mutation they are yet to find, but I am yet to see anything that convinces me that sabino has anything to do with blue eyes.

With out a doubt, she is tobiano and splash. She has to be something more than tobiano for a start, with face white. I don't see sabino to be honest, I see splash. Blue eyes, bottom heavy face white, crisp and clean edges.

Surayya 08-02-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1628078)
The paper on splash made it clear that the geneticists involved believe there is more than three mutations that present as "splash". Testing negative for LWO AND splash with those blue eyes tells me for sure that she has an undiscovered splash gene. Sabino also has at least one more mutation they are yet to find, but I am yet to see anything that convinces me that sabino has anything to do with blue eyes.

With out a doubt, she is tobiano and splash. She has to be something more than tobiano for a start, with face white. I don't see sabino to be honest, I see splash. Blue eyes, bottom heavy face white, crisp and clean edges.

Hmmm - I have to agree with you on Sabino- I thought maybe Sabino in the beginning when I 1st started my research into patterns, but now when I look at her I don't see Sabino at all (I only had that test done to cover my bases :p ). The lacing around her patches are from HZ Tobiano, as are the paw prints/cat tracks.

If she didnt have the bright blue eyes I wouldn't be so shocked that she came back neg to all Splash genes.

Yep, I read the paper with much interest & know they feel there are other Splash genes (I suppose I should be shocked my dare to be different baby, isn't going to be stuffed into nice neat categories so easily lol ;) )

As she was tested at USD & Ive been told its them who are holding back some horses who look Splash but test neg, should I ask them to do the same for her?
Is she Splash looking enough (stupid question I know, but she still has a shield & small flak patches left, even if those are caused by HZ Tobiano fighting to stay coloured)???

Thoughts please? :)

I've decided to email USD later tonight or early tomorrow, when I have my head wrapped around the current results :)

Is it worth having her re-tested? I thought USD would be fairly onto it & would have let me know if they felt the need to retest on account of the samples I sent them?