The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Back to the Ranch! Took a New Job! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/back-ranch-took-new-job-133285/)

HanginH 08-02-2012 09:36 PM

Back to the Ranch! Took a New Job!

I have been in the oil and gas sector for the last 7 years and was kind of getting tired of the everyday grind my job entailed. So decided to look for a new job and found a ranch just outside of town looking for a ranch hand. Long story short I interviewed, got the job and start on the 23 of August. :D

Looking forward to the change as it will involve a lot of riding as they do all cattle handling off a horse plus more physical than the desk job I had downtown. They calve out 450 cows each spring combined between a commercial herd and a purebred horned Hereford herd. On top of that they have about 1200 acres of crop land and some hay to put up each year.

Just wanted to share because i am pretty excited and at the same time a bit nervous to make the change.

Have a good one!!

COWCHICK77 08-02-2012 09:41 PM

Right on!!!
Good for you, now you can put that fancy wood you built to work ;)

HanginH 08-02-2012 09:44 PM

Thanks Cowchick I am hoping to put it to good use if i can get it back from the wife They are goin to let me bring one of my horses down as well so hoping to get lots of miles on some of my younger horses that could really use the work.

WSArabians 08-02-2012 10:02 PM

That's awesome!
I made a living training horses until the market fell out and noone wanted to put any money into them. I've now, also, gone to the oil industry. I'm hoping I can retire good by 40 and do horses all over again. :D

Congrats!!

COWCHICK77 08-03-2012 10:26 AM

I take it it isproper outfit where they cut you a string of horses, you rope everything and a calf table is a dirty word? :)

loveduffy 08-03-2012 10:55 AM

congrass to you as they say" if you do what you love, you never work a day in your life"

Cacowgirl 08-03-2012 11:02 AM

Congrats on your new job!

HanginH 08-03-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1628801)
I take it it isproper outfit where they cut you a string of horses, you rope everything and a calf table is a dirty word? :)

Sadly its probably not that ranchy being that it is almost on the city limits but I am pretty sure they snag and drag calves to the fire and do all their checking on the back of a horse. There will be some tractor work involved which will be OK by me because I actually enjoy running some equipment every now and again.
After a guy gets started will have to let you know how the operation runs but from the sounds of things it should fit in well with my other experience on the ranch. Thanks guys.

COWCHICK77 08-03-2012 06:03 PM

This day and age, that is pretty darn snazzy! I am jealous!
Keep us updated :)

englishaqh 08-03-2012 09:35 PM

Wow, congratulations! It sounds so awesome, I would be excited (but nervous) too. You'll be fine, it sounds like a great place and a great opportunity. Just remember that jobs like that can be tough, so see it through and pursue!! GOD BLESS AND STAY STRONG!