The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Breeding (sunbleached) black mare to palomino paint stallion? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/breeding-sunbleached-black-mare-palomino-paint-133309/)

maddisullivan 08-03-2012 01:59 AM

Breeding (sunbleached) black mare to palomino paint stallion?

I'm wanting to breed my black mare to a palomino overo paint stallion. What do you think the outcome will be?

smrobs 08-03-2012 02:12 AM

Depending on the individual genetics of both stud and mare (assuming they are heterozygous for pretty much everything), there is a chance for a chestnut, palomino, black, bay, brown, buckskin, or smoky black from that combination. For the chances of a pinto foal, it would depend on the stud's zygosity. If he was homozygous, then the foal would carry the pinto gene, if stud is heterozygous, then there is a 50% chance of a foal with the pinto gene.

However, carrying the pinto gene does not guarantee flashy markings.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-03-2012 02:20 AM

Offspring Color Probability

8.33% -
Smoky Black Overo
8.33% -
Smoky Black
8.33% -
Buckskin Overo
8.33% -
Buckskin
8.33% -
Black Overo
8.33% -
Black
8.33% -
Bay Overo
8.33% -
Bay
8.33% -
Palomino Overo
8.33% -
Palomino
8.33% -
Chestnut Overo
8.33% -
Chestnut

Since the sire is alive and overo, then he's got to be heterozygous. Here are the possibilities with a palomino frame overo stallion and a black mare, all other options marked as unknown.

Chiilaa 08-03-2012 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1628495)
Since the sire is alive and overo, then he's got to be heterozygous.

This is not a valid assumption. "Overo" does not equal "frame". This is the EXACT reason why people with a sound genetic knowledge all advocate for the dumping of the word "overo". It is too vague, a catch-all term that really means "my horse isn't tobiano, and I can't work out what white pattern is there, and don't want to test, so I am just going to use this lazy, ambiguous word and hope no one notices".

Dreamcatcher Arabians 08-03-2012 02:46 AM

I will bow to your superior knowlege. I have never heard of an overo who was NOT frame however, that's not my field of study. I took the info off the genetic labs testing calculator and the only overo option they offer is FRAME OVERO. They show Frame as an option on other patterns to be sure, but no overo without frame.

Chiilaa 08-03-2012 02:47 AM

"Overo" can mean frame, sabino or splash. They can be on their own, or combined with each other.

Tryst 08-03-2012 09:25 AM

Also make sure you test your mare for frame before breeding, as it is known to hide very well and has been found even on solid colored horses.