The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   falling down (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/falling-down-13331/)

Kirsti Arndt 08-14-2008 03:42 PM

falling down

this is the second time Sonny has fallen to his knees while riding-first time trotting this time at a walk in the arena-i dont think he is injured at all and asked the pros at the barn to look at him in the pasture today. No one called so he is fine=he seemed very startled this time like he fell asleep or something. no harm at all done to me-he just plopped down on both knees . It scares me and i have been fretting all day
anybody ever experience this or have any ideas?

minihorse927 08-14-2008 04:39 PM

Is there any lameness in his body anywhere?

Could he just be being lazy, and not picking his feet up like he should?

Have his feet been trimmed properly and toes not to long as so he won't trip on his own toes?

Have you changed anything such as shoes, tack, bridles, etc?

Is he concentrating on something else and when you ask him to do something and he falls off balance? We had a stallion that did something similar once in a parade, he almost fell all the way over while we were driving him, we later noticed he was placing his hooves one in front of the other (front and back feet) in between the solid yellow line on the road. He was concentrating so hard on it that when we asked him to turn or stop, he forgot we were even in the parade and lost his balance.

It is also possible for horses to have narcolepsy(spelling?) I had a yearling miniature mare that had it, she couldn't stay awake for more than about 15 minutes at a time when we would try to work her. I have found out since then that this is common in some breeds at young ages such as miniature horses.

Can you get someone else to ride him while you watch and see if he does it to them? This way you can see what it happening to him when he falls.

He might just be bored and not really concentrating, but as my list suggest there are multiple possibilities and even more than I can think of right now.

inthesaddle523 08-14-2008 05:22 PM

good answer mini horse.

Had you been trotting for a while when it happened? Had you given him any signals before? Then he could just be sleepy. You need to pull up on the reins a little once in a while, so he knows you are working still, not relaxing

Solon 08-14-2008 05:23 PM

I'd be worried about something neurological. Might want to consult a vet to be on the safe side.

Ryle 08-14-2008 05:37 PM

What you describe is definitely cause for a vet exam. If there is a neurological issue or other health issue that is causing your horse to fall, both you and he are at increased risk of harm and you need to find out the cause and get it treated appropriately.

Kirsti Arndt 08-15-2008 08:46 AM

bless your hearts, you guys are so nice-i asked his owner about it she says he gets bored and sleepy and doesnt pay attention. I dont like the way his feet are trimmed at all-because he is so big i think the farrier hurries!! i am going to be there next trim-he has kind of splayed out feet?/ dont know the correct term on a couple of feet and they just dont look well trimmed. He has been vet checked and his blood work came back perfect. I really need, as you infer to be very careful= that i am not letting him get lazy, sleepy or sloppy- and keep my eyes out for other possible signs=he wasnt concentrating at all when he fell i was adjusting my seat just getting ready to work-he was just wandering around at a walk which is a no no. i need to concentrate more and adjust before we start moving out. He is almost blind in one eye-maybe that is playing a part in it? he isnt injured at all and was spunky and attentive last night altho i didnt ride.

Ryle 08-15-2008 12:04 PM

You note that he gets sleepy and doesn't pay attention ---does he ever lay down to sleep?

Kirsti Arndt 08-15-2008 12:31 PM

yes and always in a pile of ook

Ryle 08-15-2008 01:11 PM

LOL They all seem to like that.

So he does lay down and sleep. Does he have trouble getting up or down?

Kirsti Arndt 08-15-2008 01:15 PM

nope other than the sheer size of him (percheron X altho he isnt tall he is vry keg shaped) and he doesnt have trouble getting up with me on him either. Sometimes he even lays down at the edge of the pond-nice big time ooky but he loves that and he rolls pretty regularly.