The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Felt or no? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/felt-no-133314/)

pateince 08-03-2012 03:21 AM

Felt or no?

I ride western only, so how do you guys feel about a felt saddle pad? are they good for rainy days? People say they're stiff every now and then is that really a bad thing? and would they be ok to rodeo with like barrels and poles, without having to worry about slippage? I kind of want to get a felt pad but i dont know if it will irritate my horse or not since its so scratchy, so what do yall think?

SouthernTrails 08-03-2012 06:59 AM

I love Felt Pads, although they can be a little higher in price, in the long run I believe they are well worth the extra money.

They are easy to clean, hold up well to usage.

I do not think they slip as much as a fleece pads.

Yes they are stiffer, but as long as the Pad is a proper length, it should not be a problem for your Horse.

pateince 08-03-2012 08:31 PM

ok thanks! and i know they have like different thinkness, but whats better? More thick or less?

Chevaux 08-03-2012 08:44 PM

I have felt pads of varying thicknesses. For me, the horse and saddle combination dictate whether I put a lighter or a thicker pad between the two.

COWCHICK77 08-03-2012 08:50 PM

There is a difference between wool pads and felt pads. Make sure you read the tag. A true wool felt pad is great in my opinion. But there are pads that are felt but not wool, like a synthetic blend, those are the ones you have to watch out for they will "burn" a horses back. The synthetic material doesn't breathe and wick sweat like real wool.

pateince 08-04-2012 01:05 PM

Thanks guys!

ledge 08-04-2012 01:23 PM

I love wool felt pads, i used to use the diamond wool, they are a bargain priced wool pad that will break down after 2 or 3 years but i found the Brookside Brand from Valley Vet Supply ...i'm in love with it.

I was in the store about 2 years back and the lady who runs the place suggested it, she said it worked wonders for her old horse and in 2 years i agree. i know Valley Vet Supply is exclusive to brookside.

waresbear 08-04-2012 01:27 PM

Like Cowchick said, make sure it's a WOOL felt pad, the others are not very good IMO.