The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   riding! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/riding-1334/)

Robyn-Niagara 03-28-2007 02:26 PM

riding!

ok, well i have ( i suppose it's a problem) something i need help with! well, when i ride my horse, i quite often have my hands right up high with my reins very heigh! and i know this and when my mum shouts " keep your reins looser and hands down" well that just doesn't work, when i loosen my reins and hands down he just will not stop! and i end up really yanking him to stop and the reason for my hands being up so high and tight as he puts his head up very high! and the higher his head gets the high me hands get and the harder i pull to get him to stop! i have a martingale but it just makes NO difference what so ever. and at the end of a ride when i untack, he always does weird things with his mouth and i know that this is because, i pull so much but he just won't stop if i don't pull!!!!!!! help!!

spoiledrottenpenner 03-28-2007 02:35 PM

keep yur hands down by the saddle pad but have a slightly tight rain but not so much that the judges will think that u have a run away horse.

Robyn-Niagara 03-28-2007 02:47 PM

but the thing is his head goes higher and higher!!!! when it's high the reins are looser!!!, i think i just need to keep his head down!! but i don't know how !! like i said, my martingale isn't doing a thing!!!!

spoiledrottenpenner 03-28-2007 02:52 PM

ok keep your hands low and yur raines tight his neck will curl but his head should be down

Desert Rat 03-28-2007 03:26 PM

Robyn there is a couple of ways to correct this. The first I would suggest is if you are rideing with a solid rein is to take a shorter grip on the reins where your hands will be down about pommel leval. The other would be to use a split rein and hold one in each hand and keep your hands even with your thighs.

tumai 03-28-2007 06:12 PM

Have you practiced transitions downward? Easier in a closed space as nowhere to go. When your boy starts to run away instead of hauling up reins ask for a turn and then a downward transition...for example if he's running away at canter ask for a turn into walk. The idea is to diffuse the flight response. You can practice this before the problem appears by lots and lots of half halts of trot, turn, walk and so on. :) You have to practice keeping your hands down...say to yourself hands down head high when you are riding.
Check his bit and check that his tongue and bars aren't damaged, he could be trying to run away from pain.
Do you have a horse that you lunge on? If so get someone like Mum to lunge you WITHOUT the reins, your hands on pommel till you get used to it and then work up to hands on hips...hands on head...out straight. Go slowly! Start with walk and work up to trot, it will help you develope an independent seat and balance and lessen your need to pull up. When you feel the need to haul up on the reins THINK TURN. Hope you have some joy soon.

EquineIllusion 03-29-2007 06:49 AM

First and foremost, do you ride english or western?

If you ride english, then I can help.
I really don't see the need for a martingale. If you think about it, a martingale is only covering up the underlying problem, that being how your horse throws up his head when you seek contact on the reins.

Firstly, we need to identify the problem. Does your tack fit properly? Has your horse had his teeth and overall health checked lately? Has he ever had his back checked over for pulled muscles ect.? Has he/she ever been jabbed or mis-treated in or around the mouth area?

These are just some of the causes of a horse resisting contact. My advice to you is to get him/her checked over. That way you can put all of the above questions aside.

After you have done that, I suggest you try and ride with contact at all times. I mean a light contact, not a jaw-breaking one. While you have a contact, use your lower leg to encourage him to get into a soft a responsive outline by squeezing his sides ever so lightly.
He may not respond to these aids immeadiatley, but give him time and he will work out what you are asking of him.

Just remember to be consistant, that's the only way he is going to learn. But once again, just make sure that this isn't caused by any physical or phsycological problems first. Basically, get him checked over by a vet.

Goodluck!

:wink:

kristy 03-29-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EquineIllusion
First and foremost, do you ride english or western?

If you ride english, then I can help.
I really don't see the need for a martingale. If you think about it, a martingale is only covering up the underlying problem, that being how your horse throws up his head when you seek contact on the reins.

Firstly, we need to identify the problem. Does your tack fit properly? Has your horse had his teeth and overall health checked lately? Has he ever had his back checked over for pulled muscles ect.? Has he/she ever been jabbed or mis-treated in or around the mouth area?

These are just some of the causes of a horse resisting contact. My advice to you is to get him/her checked over. That way you can put all of the above questions aside.

After you have done that, I suggest you try and ride with contact at all times. I mean a light contact, not a jaw-breaking one. While you have a contact, use your lower leg to encourage him to get into a soft a responsive outline by squeezing his sides ever so lightly.
He may not respond to these aids immeadiatley, but give him time and he will work out what you are asking of him.

Just remember to be consistant, that's the only way he is going to learn. But once again, just make sure that this isn't caused by any physical or phsycological problems first. Basically, get him checked over by a vet.

Goodluck!

:wink:

Very good post.

pantha1 04-03-2007 08:19 PM

I agree with EquineIllusion.
However could I suggest that you get this horse re-educated, and get some lessons yourself, even if your mum knows what she is doing, (sometimes, mums are to close and according to our kids don't know enough, )...lol

aussie_jumper 04-04-2007 06:45 AM

I don't agree with looser reins, it is important to keep a good contact on the reins whatever your doing unless it happens to be dressage then the contact needs to be a bit lighter and subtle.

you could hold the saddle cloth with your hands to get your delf into the habit of doing it. If he is doing things with his mouth it is because of your hands. they need to be quiet hands.

When you raise your hands he raises his head because the bit is going upwards into the roof of his mouth and if it is causing him some pain he might try to avoid the pain by klifting his head..

If he is avoiding the contact then try pushing him into to it.. your horse is reacting like this because you are reacting with your hands trying to counter act his behaviour..

You should always go out to ride and have one thing in your mind you are really dwelling on and that should be your hands!

to keep them on the wither, quiet and still. You should find that your horse will actually relax.

If you are having trouble ask your intsuctor/trainer about it. hope i could help you!