The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Question about horse grain for a 17 mo. old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/question-about-horse-grain-17-mo-13340/)

ScoutRacer 08-14-2008 05:37 PM

Question about horse grain for a 17 mo. old

I don't know much about grain and I know it is bad to switch grain on a horse so I am trying to figure out what grain would be good for my horse. He is a little ribby right now but he's in the growing stage so I'm not to worried. He has full access to all the grass he wants, but I know at this stage he could use a little extra help to keep the weight on him and all of the other stuff he needs to grow.

We've had him on Safe'n Easy Pelleted and we were told it would be ok for him, but when I found out it was for mature and senior horses... I wasn't to happy. Here is the site for this grain: http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equi...EasyPeltag.pdf

So then I started to look at other grains and I found Growth Formula Pelleted and I thought it would be a good choice. Here is the site for this grain: http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equi...th_Pellets.pdf

But when we got to the feed store the guy suggested this grain instead for our perticular situation that grain is Cadence and the site to this grain is: http://www.buckeyenutrition.com/equi...%20Cadence.pdf

Although we already bought one of these two I am just wondering what other people would have bought in the same situation.

Thanks

minihorse927 08-14-2008 07:24 PM

I would definitely go with the growth formula for the simple reason is PROTEIN! The other is higher is fat which will help him with weight, but protein will help him to grow to be as big as can. It may require you to feed a little bit more of this feed than the other to get the weight up but you can also go out and buy a weight builder top dress to add to his feed. You shouid not have to worry about him getting "hot" off this feed either because it is a low starch and sugar feed. High protein feeds are good for muscle developement and bone growth, especially if they are fortified with vitamins and minerals.

In the cadence feed, it would be good for a mature horse that is a harder horse to keep due to the high fat content. This fat content comes from the ultimate finish that is in the mix. This feed is actually designed for mature horses that do performance work.

As far as switching grain on horses to be bad, this is not true, if done correctly. Feed changes should be made gradually over at least 7 days, I do 2 weeks when I change. As long as you are not changing feeds everytime you turn around, then it is not bad to change a feed. Newer and better feeds come out all the time, and maybe the feed you are using at some point and time will just not suit the purpose anymore and you have to find something better for the horse themself. You just need to find a feed that works for the horse and within your budget and you will both be happy. I would allow him access to all the grass he can eat still and if he will eat it, hay also. I know in a previous thread you said he would not eat much hay if he was outside.

Peggysue 08-14-2008 07:49 PM

what is your situation??

THe Gro N Win by Buckeye is the best they offer and designed to be fed at low levels with Max nutrition... low NSC and lots of nutrition!!

it will basically work for about any horse with a few things added for the super hard keeper or the growing ... I am talking calories added is it ... like beet pulp, alfalfa cubes/pellets or something along those lines

Buckeye is one of the top companies out there i used them for about six months then found out that my other favorite company had something close to the Gro N Win so I went back to Kent :D

ScoutRacer 08-14-2008 08:29 PM

my girl friend keeps trying to tell me that a lot of protien is bad for a horse blah blah blah... so I ended up getting the cadence because the guy at the store was trying to pressure me into getting it.
It's a 50 lbs. bag after I get done feeding him that... If the next bag I got was the growth and introduced it slowly to him would that give his stomach problems?

I just want whats the best for my horse to make him healthy and go to his full potential.

my girl friend keeps freaking out and saying that switching there food is bad and goes on and on about it.

Peggysue 08-14-2008 08:40 PM

ask your friend why protein is bad ??

Growing babies needs lots of protein and amino acids to build muscle adn strong bones ... what you want to watch is high NSC feeds that are not balanced in the Ca/P ratio...

Cadence is a good feed and I have heard alot of good stuff about it ..

ScoutRacer 08-14-2008 08:46 PM

Is cadence a good grain for a 17 mo. old who's only exercise is when I walk or lunge him. Do you think cadence provides enough protien. I know growth has more protien than cadence, but cadence has more fatty contents in it.

Peggysue 08-14-2008 08:51 PM

How many lbs are you planning to give him???

then I can do a rough math for you tonight LOL lost my caculator so it'll be rough :? :lol:

ScoutRacer 08-14-2008 08:53 PM

I'm starting him out on a 1/2 scoop until he gets used to it then he'll normally get 1 full scoop... I guess it's a normal scoop... cant be much more than 1 - 2 lbs a day is my guess... I don't know though really.

Sara 08-14-2008 08:56 PM

If you are switching from an adult pellet to a junior pellet, you shouldn't have too much of a problem, to be honest. The bigger focus should be how much you feed at a single time, which is why many of us recommended that you switch to at least 2 feedings a day (some picky eaters do better on 3 or 4 feedings...but I've never had one of those, thank god).

Protein (or more specifically, amino acids) is more important to working horses, growing horses and lactating mares. Of course you shouldn't go overboard, but they do need a bit more.

This is a good article...you will have to create an account (its free) to read, but I think it'll give you some helpful info on feeding your boy.
http://www.thehorse.com/ViewArticle.aspx?ID=479

Peggysue 08-14-2008 09:00 PM

Numbers at min amount fed :) which is 2lbs for a 600 to 800 lbs horse

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS Cadence
Crude Protein, Minimum 10.0% 2X.1 will give you .2 lbs of protein is 101.6 grams of protein at 17 months he needs 799 grams of protein hope you have some great hay/pasture

Growth
16% Protein min of 3.5lbs so .16X 3.5 gives you .56 lbs of protein 142.24grams of protein

Gro N Win
32% protein 2lb for a horse of his age .64lbs of protein or 162.56 grams of protein :)

figure average grass hay is 12% proteins and ideally he is getting at least 15 lbs of hay a day 457.2 grams of protein

Keep in mind all these numbers are at the MIN for his age

also a coffee cup is about 1/2 lb of MOST of Buckeye's feeds they actually test each batch to make sure of that I am told
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...2450_thumb.jpg