The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Sun burn.. Should I expect it? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/sun-burn-should-i-expect-133422/)

Princess Bubblegum 08-03-2012 10:54 PM

Sun burn.. Should I expect it?

I am trying out a horse (Not to ride, just to see if I like her) this month. I visited her once, and though she's got bad conformation.. I think I'm in love with her! I'm only going to be doing trails and stuff at home so I'm not too worried about it.

But, the only turnout she's ever had is COMPLETELY shaded. She's a Curly horse, and she sheds out nearly everything. She's not chestnut and white -- She's Chestnut and pink. I asked the owner and she said she never had a problem, but the pasture she has is fully shaded during turnout hours.. So she's not sure.

What should I expect? I've never owned any paint/light colored (Aside from Haflinger 'palomino'.) horses. Thank you!

Ladytrails 08-03-2012 11:43 PM

I can't answer the question about sunburn, but I will offer a bit of advice about conformation. Trail riding can be very demanding unless your trails are flat and have great footing. Please consider looking at her conformation from the perspective of whether her feet, legs and back are suited for carrying weight up and down hills, over rocks and through creeks and ditches. I didn't know any better and my first trail horse had long sloping pasterns and she became unsound with one wrong turn .... bye bye trails. If the conformation fault is something that's mostly cosmetic, fine, but if it has to do with any part of the body that bears weight or helps keep her balanced, I'd make sure that the flaw was very minor. That injury cost me over $3000 to bring her to pasture soundness and she required special trims and shoes for the rest of her life to stay reasonably sound.

myhorsesonador 08-03-2012 11:47 PM

well 1 haflingers are not palominos, they are flaxen chesnut/sorrel

2 a fly sheet would keep her from burning, or just turn her out at night.

ledge 08-04-2012 12:41 AM

Simple answer yes horses can sunburn, especially where their skin is pink, even ones with pink on nose and paints. You can use sunblock, they even make a horse version.

But i would avoid a horse with bad confirmation, unless its some spectacularly broke and gentle thing that will go everywhere and sleeps during the fireworks show on the 4th.

SorrelHorse 08-04-2012 12:53 AM

They do sunburn, especially on the face. My three year old has a totally bald face, as does our old stud. What I use is baby sunscreen. I put it on every morning when I feed, it really works. I've never had one get sunburned on the body, but if they burn anywhere I would definitely do the sunscreen or a fly sheet/mask.

Princess Bubblegum 08-04-2012 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myhorsesonador (Post 1629872)
well 1 haflingers are not palominos, they are flaxen chesnut/sorrel

2 a fly sheet would keep her from burning, or just turn her out at night.

Thanks, guess that was kind of a no brainer! :) And yeah, I'm just having keyboard troubles (Though you'd never guess with the way I ramble) so that's why I put those quotations around palomino.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladytrails (Post 1629867)
I can't answer the question about sunburn, but I will offer a bit of advice about conformation. Trail riding can be very demanding unless your trails are flat and have great footing. Please consider looking at her conformation from the perspective of whether her feet, legs and back are suited for carrying weight up and down hills, over rocks and through creeks and ditches. I didn't know any better and my first trail horse had long sloping pasterns and she became unsound with one wrong turn .... bye bye trails. If the conformation fault is something that's mostly cosmetic, fine, but if it has to do with any part of the body that bears weight or helps keep her balanced, I'd make sure that the flaw was very minor. That injury cost me over $3000 to bring her to pasture soundness and she required special trims and shoes for the rest of her life to stay reasonably sound.

Thanks, I'm aware of all this but I do appreciate the input! I know by the way I say/type things I sound like a complete ditz.. I mean, I know horses -can- sunburn, I just meant what can I do about it aside from spending a fortune on sunscreens. Should've specified that!

But yeah, by bad conformation, I just mean a bit awkward. I'm waiting a few years before getting on her anyway, if I even keep her. Her full sister is gorgeous and looked the same way at 2, but ended up having very good conformation. The owner said I can ever swap them out if I want, it's all up to me.. Decisions, decisions! :?

ledge 08-04-2012 12:30 PM

There are no bad questions, no silly or stupid questions. Some Questions are easier to answer than others LOL!! but Its better to ask even if its simple as sunscreen for your pony's nose. Never be afraid to ask a question, it shows your still willing to learn and if your still learning your still growing.

Ohh yea at 1 and 2 they look awkward the back gets taller than the front and vice versa. (breed snob alert) normally if the horse is from good bloodlines then you will be alright. Horses are like people we looked goofy in our teenage years also.

Appleval 08-04-2012 06:31 PM

We just put sun screen on ours if they have a wight muzzle

MacabreMikolaj 08-04-2012 11:22 PM

My Paint gets wicked sunburn on her muzzle and as I have her boarded and have 2 jobs, putting sunscreen on her daily simply isn't an option.

So I bought her one of these and it works GREAT! At first she kept getting it off, but I bought a breakaway halter and looped the crown piece through a piece of twine tied to the fly mask and all she managed to do now is get her ears out. :lol: She doesn't burn on her body, but a fly sheet would fix any body issues.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...55835045_n.jpg

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...40841465_n.jpg

Princess Bubblegum 08-05-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledge (Post 1630330)
There are no bad questions, no silly or stupid questions. Some Questions are easier to answer than others LOL!! but Its better to ask even if its simple as sunscreen for your pony's nose. Never be afraid to ask a question, it shows your still willing to learn and if your still learning your still growing.

Thanks so much, means a bunches to me! I'm super shy and known to make a fool of myself (Doing things wrong even when I know how -- Nerves..) very often, and I've had MANY bad experiences with horse people bossing me around, or freaking out on me over simple things like my choice of saddle (It fits fine, but she didn't like the brand) or silly things like that. And I know you get that in all "groups", but I've had the worst experiences in the horsey group. But yes I am definitely still learning! Everyone has their own way of doing things and I love seeing each and every one!
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj (Post 1631117)
My Paint gets wicked sunburn on her muzzle and as I have her boarded and have 2 jobs, putting sunscreen on her daily simply isn't an option.

So I bought her one of these and it works GREAT! At first she kept getting it off, but I bought a breakaway halter and looped the crown piece through a piece of twine tied to the fly mask and all she managed to do now is get her ears out. :lol: She doesn't burn on her body, but a fly sheet would fix any body issues.

Oh thanks, yeah I definitely can't apply sunscreen every day either, and as long as it doesn't storm we leave the horses out for days at a times a lot. (Shelter, feedings, and water of course!) And my "barn-sitters" aren't too dependable to do things like sunscreen, but I can trust them to make sure a flymask is on. :)