The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Are these scores good? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/these-scores-good-133448/)

DrillRider 08-04-2012 09:52 AM

Are these scores good?

Yesterday I showed dressage for the first time. I was wondering how my score was, I got an 84.375% but was the only person in my age group and level (intro a) so I got first. It was a 4H show at the county fair but there was an actual dressage judge. I am going to a dressage schooling show end of this month and a USDF show middle of next month and was wondering if I got that score, or a bit lower, if I would be able to place. Thanks!

kitten_Val 08-04-2012 11:08 AM

80+% is very high score. Congrats on good score and 1st place! :)

DrillRider 08-04-2012 11:23 AM

Thanks! And do you think if I got that or a bit lower I could still place at a recognized show?

kitten_Val 08-04-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrillRider (Post 1630204)
Thanks! And do you think if I got that or a bit lower I could still place at a recognized show?

I just checked results at couple of our local (state-wide) shows (out of curiosity). Intro A seems to be getting in upper 60th - mid 70th for the most part. So 84 is high. Frankly I'm wondering if you are passed Intro A in your training and should switch to Intro B or may be even to Intro C (it's a compliment BTW :wink: ). So even if you get lower scores I think you have a very high chance of being placed.

P.S. I'd do 2 tests: Intro A and Intro B on your future shows.

DrillRider 08-04-2012 01:14 PM

Ok thanks! My horse is just getting over an injury so we only entered walk trot and 4h offered only intro a and training 3. At the other shows were going to enter intro a b and maybe c. Thanks!

Kayty 08-05-2012 01:01 AM

84% is an internationally competitive score if it was in a rated show. It's a good score, but please also consider the credibility of the judge and the show - 84% is a score that even in the basic levels of dressage, professional riders on imported horses struggle and often never attain ;)

DrillRider 08-05-2012 09:30 AM

Ok yeah I thought it was a bit high lol! The judge did really know dressage. All the other people I talked to got in the 60's for scores with there horses. I do have to say that my horse IS a really good dressage horse and I am taking lessons from one of the top trainers. We bought my horse as a dressage show horse. He showed at USDF regionals, recegnised shows, all that stuff, and apparently always scored well. His dad (from Holland) produced horses that compete at grand prix, but he is only trained to 2nd level. The judge gave him a 9 for his gates. I am going to bring a tape of my ride to my instructor/ barn manager with the score sheet and see what she thinks. I showed her (who competed top level eventing) and her mom (who has been riding dressage probability 17+years) and they told me to fix what I got lower scores on lol! Thanks for the info!

kitten_Val 08-05-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1631144)
84% is an internationally competitive score if it was in a rated show. It's a good score, but please also consider the credibility of the judge and the show - 84% is a score that even in the basic levels of dressage, professional riders on imported horses struggle and often never attain ;)

Kayty, I think it depends on level and the horse's training as well. I'm pretty positive I'd get in 80th would I ride my qh now in Intro. :-) That's why I said that there is a good possibility horse is higher in training and should be shown in a different (higher) class. However I can understand if it's recovering and the OP wants to skip canter still wants to show.

DrillRider 08-05-2012 11:49 AM

Yeah, he is also at a higher level then I am. I have never shown before while he has shown for years. Also, I just found out the the "big recognized show" that I was going to enter at this really fancy show place actually is lucky to get 2 riders in the intro classes. And then that ALL the big show places around me have vary few riders. Do not many people like dressage!?!?

kitten_Val 08-05-2012 02:03 PM

DR, I'm not sure where you are, but in my area we have very decent number of riders in each test usually.