The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   High Ringbone in Senior Mare (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/high-ringbone-senior-mare-133450/)

Sucker4Spots 08-04-2012 09:45 AM

High Ringbone in Senior Mare

My mare is 23 turning 24 this oct and she has high ringbone in her left front pasturn. I have had her on MSM powder for 2 wks now and haven't really seen a difference. When I bought her 3 1/2 years ago she was lame on that foot, but when you rode her all she wanted to do is run. Now when you ride her, she favors it a whole lot more after about 30 min of light riding. I'm also puttin Absorbine Liniment on it 3x a day. I have been told that plastic theraputic shoe's with help that a flexible support boot will as well, but I just don't know where to start. I need some advice from someone who has dealt with this before. Lease help

WickedNag 08-04-2012 10:24 AM

Only had one horse with ringbone... sadly we had to euthanize him as we couldn't keep him comfortable anymore...

walkinthewalk 08-04-2012 02:35 PM

Consult with your vet to see if your horse might be a candidate for IRAP Therapy. Isn't cheap but, on the other hand, it's under $2,000 in most instances, I believe.

You'll have to join theHorse.com to read this link but membership is free. I still haven't figured out why some of their articles are password protected and others aren't:?

The Horse | Ringbone in Horses

Here's a good description of IRAP Therapy with some videos giving details.
Fran Jurga`s Hoof Blog: News from Hoofcare + Lameness Journal: IRAP Equine Lameness Therapy: Two Veterinarians, Two Videos to Show and Tell the Treatment's Story

Charlene Cook's video is the second video and does a great job of showing and explaining the entire process --- in terms any of us can understand:D

I've known about this for a long time but thought I might have to consider it with one of my horses. Thankfully (I guess) "all" he has is a torn ligament with severe edema around the sesamoid bones.

How did he get that torn ligament? This is the second trimmer that trimmed him way too short due to founder. And I'm not even going to get started on a rant about how farriers and trimmers are Legends in their Own Minds when it comes to doing what THEY think they should to a horse.

Anyway, there might be hope for the ringbone, even in the long-term, if you can afford the procedure. Ask your vet and good luck:-)