The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Diagonals (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/diagonals-133452/)

howrsegirl123 08-04-2012 10:17 AM

Diagonals

I used to have the hardest time with my diagonals until someone pointed out that I always come up on the right diagonal (when the right leg is forward.) And it's true-whichever way I'm trotting I always come up on the same diagonal, the right one. When I'm going to the left that's great, I don't have to even check. And when I'm going to the right, I know I'm on the wrong diagonal so I'll go up then sit for two beats. I've also done it where I think to myself when I would rise up, then I count two after that and I come up on the correct diagonal. Why do I do this? Why is one diagonal more comfortable for me?
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintLover17 08-04-2012 07:50 PM

I am the same way. Some horses kind of push you up onto the diagonal that is more comfortable to them, and sometimes it's just what comes easier to you. My instructer had me practice by riding a circle and telling her what diagonal I was on without looking down. When I could feel it easier she told me to start posting at the moment it felt more difficult since the time that felt easier would put me on the wrong diagonal. Basically you have to learn how to go against your instincts to always start in the right diagonal and learn to pick up the left immediately. It takes a lot of practice but you will get it eventually.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 08-04-2012 08:02 PM

My exact problem as well, on the exact diagonal.

wetrain17 08-06-2012 09:16 AM

We all have our good (stronger) ways and our bad ways. I'm better riding going to the left then the right, just keep practicing it will eventually fall into place.