The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique my riding in this video... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-my-riding-video-133483/)

QHriderKE 08-04-2012 05:02 PM

Critique my riding in this video...

:oops: I know it's not very good... My posting particularly is awful, and my lower leg while in a lope... even worse.

I guess while loping, I was trying to sit deeper and use my body to help her relax and stretch out more, (not meaning go faster...). And then my leg just went to crapola.

tinyliny 08-08-2012 03:08 AM

It's really hard to see very much because so much of the time you are far away from the camera.
AS you know, I think Squiggy is a super nice horse. She seemed a bit irritated there and kind of holding back in both the trot and the canter. That holding back had her a bit "bunched up" looking, which I think was making it harder for you to have as nice a posting rythm as you usually do (and you do!)

AS for getting her to relax by deepening your seat, do you mean that you took less weight into the stirrup ad put more into your seatbones? If so, then it might actually discourage her from stretching out more.

Sometimes when a green horse gets that kind of bunched up way of going, to help it stretch forward and lift it's back, the rider will ride in a kind of half seat (I am talking dressage here, mind you) and kind of roll themselves more onto their thighs. This takes weight off of the seatbone and puts it more foreward. It might be that it puts the horse more on the forehand, but if you also ask for more push and longer , freeer strides, it is ok for the horse to be a bit more on the forehand to help her open up , reach, relaxe and stretchforward.

She seems to be neck reining rather well. I think you've done just a terrific job.

Remember to look up and forward, helps horse to be focussed forward. Don't limit yourselves to the two or three feet in front of her nose.

QHriderKE 08-08-2012 03:20 AM

I've been battling with the "bunched up" stuff for a while and found out that my other saddle fits better and it did help a lot with the tension at a lope and some at the trot.

As for the rest of it, I figured that it was because I ride soooo forward most of the time, so it was like I was telling her to pick up her pace, and then scrunching her up with everything else, resulting in all kinds of weirdness. That's my explanation for trying a deeper seat.

I have a few new things that I've put on my list of "things to try", so come the day my Physio-therapist clears me to ride, I'll put it all to use to the best of my ability.

Most of my list is just a lot of transitions, basically.

Someone suggested that to help her loping, since she's nice and slow and relaxed through her t -> lope transition and a stride or two after, that I should just go through the transition, let her lope her relaxed strides, and then transition back down to a trot, and repeat.