The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Mind Boggling Olympic Country Population Statistics! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/mind-boggling-olympic-country-population-statistics-133529/)

FlyGap 08-05-2012 04:55 AM

Mind Boggling Olympic Country Population Statistics!

28 Attachment(s)
Have you guys checked out the Olympic Country statistics on Yahoo? Whoa!
I've always been familiar with the sizes and populations but I did some math on the estimates...

United States:
Land Mass: 3,794,083 miles
Population: 303,824,646
People Per Square Mile: 80

China:
Land Mass: 3,705,407 miles²
Population: 1,330,044,605
People Per Square Mile: 359

Great Britain:
Land Mass: 94,526 miles²
Population: 60,943,912
People Per Square Mile: 645

WOW, I mean these numbers are just ASTOUNDING to me. Especially China's population, that is OVER 1 BILLION MORE people than in the US! I knew they "had over a billion people", but not a billion MORE. How have we earned as many medals as they have with us having 1/4 of their population. Brits, major kudos, wow.
I've been to most of the major cities in the US, and all over the world but never felt like it was too crowded... But you look at the PPSM of just these three, man what a difference.
Aussies and Canadians have got some major elbow room too!

Clava 08-05-2012 05:13 AM

Well that explains why the queues are so long here:lol:

(... for a tiny crowded country, we're doing quite well in the Olympics:D)

FlyGap 08-05-2012 05:26 AM

28 Attachment(s)
YES YOU ARE!!
My math was a bit off because I rounded up the PPSM#'s to whole #'s... JSYK!
Never been too proud of my math skills.

FlyGap 08-05-2012 06:06 AM

28 Attachment(s)
Someone please figure out how many times better the Brits are doing metal wise per population than US or China. I'm stumped, LOLOLOL! WOW.

Joe4d 08-05-2012 06:28 AM

people that are near starvation dont spend alot of time doing sports. SPorts are leisure activities that take place after basic survival needs are met. Most Americans and I assume British have those needs met. With large numbers to choose from those with natural talent still need exposure and opportunity.

kitten_Val 08-05-2012 10:50 AM

I actually find it more amazing that people from some other (very poor and in very tough political situation) countries (say, North Korea or some African countries) participate. Well, not very successfully, but still.

azwantapaint 08-05-2012 11:04 AM

Why do we enjoy much more success?
Simple.
Americans are free, and we're one of the wealthiest nations on the planet.
This translates into two assets that enhance productivity and performance.
Innovations and self determination.
Because we are free, we have the mindset that we can accomplish whatever we see fit.
Self determination enables us to excel by our own choice and will.
I can't speak for any other people, but having traveled the world courtesy of the USMC, I can say that, without a doubt, without question, America is the land of opportunity, the likes of which cannot be found anywhere.

starfia 08-05-2012 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clava (Post 1631253)
Well that explains why the queues are so long here:lol:

(... for a tiny crowded country, we're doing quite well in the Olympics:D)

HAHA actually laughing out loud at this! :lol: And the fact we just love to queue for the hell of it! I swear I don't know what I'm queueing for most of the time.

Britain is an over crowded country! Little but lots of people! I'm quite proud of how well we are doing this Olympics :)