The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   What is a 9? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/what-9-a-133543/)

DrillRider 08-05-2012 09:39 AM

What is a 9?

At my last (and actually first) dressage show, my horse scored a 9 on movement. We were only in intro a, but I was wondering what a horse that gets a 9 for movement looks like. It was a 4H schooling type show. I wanted to compare what at a recognized show horses that get a 9 look like and how my horse moves. Thanks!

Weezilla 08-05-2012 12:09 PM

A 9 on movement is amazing. Practically perfect. Valegro and Ravel don't get 9s. Your judge at a "4-H -type schooling show" is likely in training and not a recognized judge, so it would be difficult to say how he would score in a recognized competition. Though clearly the judge loved your horse:wink:.

I'd be happy but I'd take it with a big pinch of salt.

DrillRider 08-05-2012 01:24 PM

Thanks! I didnt think he really got a 9, lol! He is a friesian and moves really pretty and ground covering, but not perfect. His legs arent strait and one hock is larger because he has a bone chip below the hock. (the vet said it SHOULD be swollen and its protecting it but he is 100% ok) I swear im going to frame that test score sheet and ahng it in my room since im never going to get these scores again! I ended up with an 84.375%. The judge gave the other girls that were riding in the 60's and low 70's. I cant wait to go to a real dressage show to see what he will actually get! lol! Thanks!

Weezilla 08-05-2012 01:41 PM

Oh I'd definitely frame it! You clearly have a lovely horse whom you rode very well, and the judge obviously felt your ride was wonderful AND the clear winner of the class. Good on you! How does it feel up there on that cloud?:clap:

Keep working hard. This should motivate you like nothing else:-)

DrillRider 08-05-2012 01:48 PM

Haha thanks! I got my name announced that I can in first, ran to the place where we got our ribbons, and then took off to the announcers booth to get my test. I saw the 84.375 and almost fell over. I knew it was the best ride I have ever had but i was like you have to be kidding... I showed it to my instructors mom who was picking us up (she used to compete dressage and has been riding dressage for 16+years) and she looked at it and just stared at me. I was hopping that I could do that again but now hearing what other people say, that will never happen lol! Does anyone have a video of a horse that has 9 movements? Or a ride at intro level that is in the 80's?

Weezilla 08-05-2012 03:01 PM

Here's a 67%. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

tinyliny 08-05-2012 03:14 PM

that link does not work.

my instructor (back when I had one) used to say I could not move up a level until I scored a 70. The best I ever got was a 69. something.

Kayty 08-05-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weezilla (Post 1631501)
A 9 on movement is amazing. Practically perfect. Valegro and Ravel don't get 9s. Your judge at a "4-H -type schooling show" is likely in training and not a recognized judge, so it would be difficult to say how he would score in a recognized competition. Though clearly the judge loved your horse:wink:.

I'd be happy but I'd take it with a big pinch of salt.

Valegro has been getting an awful lot of 9's AND 10's lately ;)

Weezilla 08-05-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayty (Post 1632197)
Valegro has been getting an awful lot of 9's AND 10's lately ;)

:thumbsup:Aren't they awesome? I cant wait for Tuesday :clap::happydance::clap::happydance::clap:

Charlotte got 2 10s for rider position and correctness of aids. Carl must be bursting with pride.

Kayty 08-05-2012 11:11 PM

She is just wonderful to watch! Like a breath of fresh air in international dressage, both her and Carl.
There is nothing forced in the work, Valegro makes it all all so easily, he's got muscles in all the right places and absolutely knows his job. Comparing Charlotte and Valegro, to many of the other riders out there, it is glaringly obvious to see which horses are trained using forceful tactics.

Charlotte and Carl should be immensely proud of what they have done to the international dressage scene, FINALLY we may see a turn around from hideous windmilling front legs and jammed up, short necks. I could watch them ride forever.