The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

bit keepers and the Olympics

2K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  maura 
#1 ·
I've been watching the TV coverage of the equestrian events in the Olympics. (Like who hasn't if you get the stations?) Maybe I'm mistaking full cheek bits for some other kind of bit, but if I'm not, I don't notice anyone using bit keepers. If that's really the best thing to do when using a full cheek bit, why are the best amateur riders in the world not using them?
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Just my view, but while keepers are strictly correct they tend to fix the mouthpiece position across the horse's tongue. And because the cheeks run inline with the mouth, part of the 'steering' action you get with this type of bit is lost.

We have a horse ridden in a long-cheek snaffle without keepers. At some point we believe he's had an accident - two lower incisors are missing and the vet thinks he has a patch with no feeling on his lower lip. As a consequence he sometimes needs quite a strong rein aid for turns and the bit cheeks being at right-angles to his mouth are a real help :)

#4 ·
Drat, no, I can't. I know it was in the show jumping though, because I haven't yet had a chance to watch the XC coverage. Here's links to the show jumping videos on the NBC Olympics site:

Show Jumping day 1:
Individual, Team Jumping Day 1 - Equestrian Video | NBC Olympics

Show Jumping day 2:
Show Jumping Day 2 - Equestrian Video | NBC Olympics

Individual Eventing Jumping Final:
Individual Eventing: Jumping Final - Equestrian Video | NBC Olympics

Pretty sure Beezie Madden was using a full cheek bit without bit keepers, you can see that in this video. I don't have time right now to re-watch the other rides.

#6 ·
I must've just missed them on her horse then. Not like Beezie and Via Volo were standing still for my inspection. ;) If I have time to re-watch the other rides I'll pay more attention and see if I can list any rider/horse pairs that don't seem to be using them.

#10 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.