The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Jobs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/)
-   -   finding a student position in seattle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-jobs/finding-student-position-seattle-133651/)

theomega 08-06-2012 01:03 AM

finding a student position in seattle

I've been looking for a working student position at a show jumping/eventing barn in the Seattle area for two and a half years now. I eventually gave up and started taking lessons at an English barn until I found a volunteer position at a western show barn (nationally competitive). I've been riding with them and volunteering for six months.

I've been watching YardandGroom but not a lot has popped up. I've sent my resume out to every position available (not many). There was one that could have worked but it would have been an hour and a half commute every day so I ended up declining. Another I was rejected from because I have no recent show experience (I stopped riding about 5-6 years ago for family reasons and started up again last year). Trying to find a place where I can really work in exchange for not just lessons/riding time but learning to train horses and build a career. I've sent out emails to people twice a year since I moved out here but have almost always heard "we have enough help" as a response.

Is there any advice someone can give to a person who is an adult that wants to get into riding after taking a break during college?

My dream has always been and always will be to train horses and work with them. I don't want to fall into the trap of taking lessons at a place for years until they even consider me because I'm not in the position where I can afford to not be making career-centered moves. I work as a web consultant for a company and my work is all done remotely on my own schedule so I can work any hours needed at a barn. I hope to eventually quit my consulting position and move towards working full time with horses. I'm a fairly capable rider though I haven't done jumping since high school. I don't want to pour money and time into a place that won't help me with a career. I'm getting married this fall if that's relevant to this at all (I can't move, for example).

Any advice for me? Barn recommendations etc?

TBrider 08-17-2012 05:52 PM

its not a eventer barn but you can volunteer at little bit theruputic riding center to get experience working with horse again. You could also contact some local pony clubs to help volunteer. they are centered around eventing.