The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   tendon trouble! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/tendon-trouble-133732/)

leoandlivvy 08-06-2012 06:08 PM

tendon trouble!

hey!

so about 5 months ago, my horse suffered a pulled tendon. he was on box rest for 6 weeks and then was slowley introduced back into work. then after that he was as sound as anything and completely back to normal after giving him bute in his feed twice a week.i could canter him, gallop him and all sorts on soft enough ground. but then i stupidly let my friend ride him (about after 2 months of him being completely sound) and delivered him back hopping lame after she had galloped him on ground that was too hard. since then i have slowley re-introduced him back into work with another period of having bute twice a week. now he has still a touch of lameness about him, but doesn't seem to suffer the pain as he is extremely strong and rides in a gag. he always pulls for a canter so ilet him if the ground is right. is he permanently lame or will he grow out of it? i don't use any kind of boots on him because my vet advises me not too as she thinks he will reply on the support toomuch and never get better. what do others think? how should i go about this?

thanks,

olivia x

TrojanCowgirl 08-06-2012 06:14 PM

My horse has had a pulled tendon for nearly 6 months now and still isn't better... the vet even told me to keep him on rest for 8 months-1 year if I expect him to ever make a full recovery. If I were you I would consult your vet. Every horse requires different attention and different periods of stall rest. I would not be working him at all, just hand walking 15 minutes once a day for the time being.

BarrelRacingLvr 08-07-2012 06:10 PM

I personally would contact the vet get him looked at closely to see what's going on.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cherie 08-07-2012 07:11 PM

I would NOT give him Bute. Pain is what makes a horse take care of himself.

I would consult with a good 'leg Vet'. He may need to have an MRI or Ultrasound to see how much damage has actually occurred and where in the healing process he is now.

We usually opt for stall rest for 4 weeks with DMSO applied daily and turnout to pasture for 6 months to a year, depending on severity of the injury.

We are also very careful about keeping toes short and rolled to lesson tendon stress. If he is even a little bit lame without Bute, I sure would not be riding him.

CLaPorte432 08-07-2012 07:19 PM

If you have a lame horse, you have a horse in pain.

Get your vet back out. Back on stall rest. Get your vet back out. STOP WORKING HIM. Get your vet back out.

You are only damaging him now.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 08-07-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cherie (Post 1634973)
I would NOT give him Bute. Pain is what makes a horse take care of himself.

Exactly. We use bute very, very sparingly...only when a horse is 3 legged lame and even then, not for more than 3-5 days. Tendons are extremely slow to heal completely and re-injuries are very common when horses are returned to work too quickly.

Kayty 08-07-2012 10:13 PM

Please don't work him on an injured tendon. They take a long time to heal and can very easily tear once there is damage done. Be patient.

Consult your vet as soon as possible and give your horse as much time as he needs to be 100% sound before bringing him VERY slowly back into work. I hope in the first instance that you did a number of months of very careful rehabilitation work before cantering and galloping.

leoandlivvy 08-08-2012 02:37 AM

yes! all you guys are saying exactly what i was thinking and what i want to do with him! BUT....

i have him on full lease, and he works in a tiny riding school that consists of 10 horses. my yard owner/leaser/instructor is losing money very fast. she is using my horse for about 4-5 lessons a weekend. so basicly, there is nothing i can do about it. she doesn't see an injured horse she see's money. i'm hoping that she isn't twisting what she told me the vet said. i am really worried now. but, he didn't just pull his tendon. he strained his check ligament aswell (i forgot to add that sorry!) does that change anything? what do others think i can do? although he is showing so faint signs of lameness that no one can tell but me. i'm really worried for my horse. what should i do?xxx

TrojanCowgirl 08-08-2012 05:20 AM

Jeeze, that's sticky.

You could try talking to her about it and expressing how horrible it is to work a lame horse and how it can cause serious injury that will cause her to spend loads of $$$ in the future OR can you call animal control if the lameness worsens? If you say that it's subtle and only you can notice, you need a vets second opinion ASAP.

Kayty 08-08-2012 07:41 PM

Not an overly credential riding school, if they're still working horses with serious injuries. This horse needs rest, not work going around and around in circles with kids on him.
That's just not good enough and I would be confronting her. What would she rather? Use the horse now and have it break down permanently in a few months, or give it a few months rest and then continue to use it for years thereafter leading to a long and happy work life?