The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why ruling out pain is IMPERATIVE!

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Spirit Lifter 
#1 · (Edited)
Well today was my first trail ride on Spirit in 6 weeks after breaking my rib in a fall. I was so excited to get back on and I was excited for her that she got to do what she loves out in the woods! After grooming, I saddled her up and put her bridle on. A non event. I went to lead her out of the barn and she seemed hesitant. I thought well I guess she's not as excited to get out on the trail as I thought she would be. My lazy girl walked along just fine until I had to turn her left. She started doing this weird thing shaking her head and I thought she had a fly on her face. My riding partner in front of me said well I don't see a fly on her face. She kept shaking her head constantly and this has never been something I've seen her do. So my riding partner said she's probably just not wanting that bit in her mouth after not having one in there for so long. I ride with a snaffle on loose rein. After this continued I said something is wrong. She's telling me something is wrong. We dismounted and checked everything. Everything seemed normal. Got back on....same thing, shaking her head and she seemed very disturbed. I thought this is REALLY wrong. So I dismounted, used my packed lead rope, wrapped it around her neck and took the entire bridle off and decided to walk her back much to the dismay of my riding partner. During the long walk back I told Spirit that she was in BIG trouble if nothing was wrong with her. At the barn, I took my fingers and rubbed her mouth, including her interdental space and discovered two teeth breaking through the gums on the bottom of the jaw. The gums around the teeth were swollen and red. 28% of mares have CANINE teeth also known as fighting teeth. It is a leftover from prehistoric days of the horse. When I found them with my finger she just let out a huge sigh of relief and put her muzzle in my chest and I could see her eyes relax. She was like, yes, mama, right there it hurts. Those teeth are right where the bit goes. I was so glad I listened to my instincts and Spirit telling me she had a real problem. I was so proud of her that through her pain, she kept good care of me up top. I love her and I think she learned to trust me today even more because she knows that I listen to her through the best communication she knows how to give. I am very proud of her. I've only had her for 4 months and what a strong bond we have already!

See less See more
#7 ·
Seems like we know when something is wrong w/ our animals. Following our own instincts is a great idea.

Good for you.

#8 ·
Good for you for listening to your mare. And you are correct in thinking that you just earned a notch in the trust department with her. Great way to show her you are a leader worth following!

#9 ·
Spiritlifter
It is not a nice sight, the horse hates having their teeth pulled. I recently had teeth pulled from three of mine. My gelding did much the same as your mare, suddenly shaking his head. Called the equine dentist, turned out he needed wolf teeth pulled. I'll admit wolf teeth were the last thing on my mind, he's 20 years old for goodness' sake. But after a few weeks recovery they are all doing much better.

#10 · (Edited)
Two weeks recovery I can live with. If I am there, will she associate me with the one who caused or allowed the whole nightmare of having them pulled? Just wondering. I want to be there to calm her but geesh. Pulling teeth on a standing horse sounds awful! Poor baby to have to be in the 28% group. They say they are found in dominant mares but she is not a dominant mare. I would think it's genetics based from her breeding. I'm halfway curious about looking into riding her bitless!

#11 ·
spiritlifter,, ask if your equine dentist can sedate the horse. Mine does. Otherwise try and arrange to either have the vet present so he can sedate the horse or can he arrange for sedation to be made available. My oldie Hans despite max sedation just short of putting him under were constantly reversing during the pulling of his teeth, to the point we had to use a bum rope. Partly to keep him upright, he was falling over his own feet and partly to keep him from reversing too much. The mares actually seemed to handle it better, especially the pony mare who I found out had a rotten tooth that had to come out asap! My equine dentist also uses a gel she applies to the gums to deaden them a little bit.
Mine don't seem to bear any grudges, except for my appy mare, but I don't think that has anything to do with the teeth pulling, she has respect issues that needs sorting.
I even tried goinng the hackamore route with Hans, didn't work out, worse luck.

#12 ·
spiritlifter,, ask if your equine dentist can sedate the horse. Mine does. Otherwise try and arrange to either have the vet present so he can sedate the horse or can he arrange for sedation to be made available. My oldie Hans despite max sedation just short of putting him under were constantly reversing during the pulling of his teeth, to the point we had to use a bum rope. Partly to keep him upright, he was falling over his own feet and partly to keep him from reversing too much. The mares actually seemed to handle it better, especially the pony mare who I found out had a rotten tooth that had to come out asap! My equine dentist also uses a gel she applies to the gums to deaden them a little bit.
Mine don't seem to bear any grudges, except for my appy mare, but I don't think that has anything to do with the teeth pulling, she has respect issues that needs sorting.
I even tried goinng the hackamore route with Hans, didn't work out, worse luck.

#14 ·
They are indeed canines on her lower jaw only. Wolf teeth are nearer to the molars and canine teeth nearer to the incisors. She's like a little teething baby. I can tell she even chews grass and her treats a little more delicately.

FYI only - My farrier said they would eventually fall out on their own in about two years. Opinions on that? He said to just be careful when removing the bit not to hit them.

My bridle/bit is at the Amish getting some silver put on it so I had a borrowed bridle/bit that indeed hung lower than she is used to. She had used the same borrowed one for 4 weeks while mine was being made originally with no problems whatsoever. I adjust the borrowed one as small as possible with no more notches to go any smaller. I had only 1 wrinkle at the lip corner whereas with her own bridle, I have 3 wrinkles at the lip.

I'll try raising the bit on my bridle, then going to a different bit, then going without one in that order. It's kind of interesting to learn about this whole canine teeth thing. Learn something new everyday.

I do have a call into the vet but we are so remote here. If it is considered a non-emergency, we have to wait until she's back in the office after traveling to various horses. I expect a call back today or tomorrow. I was too eager to know more about the subject so I started this thread to hear what others knew also. I'll post what her thoughts are when she calls me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.