The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tail Growth? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tail-growth-133791/)

Canteringleap 08-07-2012 07:37 AM

Tail Growth?

Hi guys!
Just wondering how long you think it takes tails to grow?
and if anyone has any tips to maintenance that will help it grow quicker and thicker :)
This is my new horse, and his tail was left in a plait with his previous owner for several months - thus matted and had to be cut, this is it a month on (sorry about the average photo, only one I could find to show) :)
Thanks!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...40012985_n.jpg

Cowgirls Boots 08-07-2012 08:16 AM

MTG
Posted via Mobile Device

Canteringleap 08-07-2012 08:20 AM

Sorry, Not sure what MTG is? :)

mls 08-07-2012 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canteringleap (Post 1634030)
Hi guys!
and if anyone has any tips to maintenance that will help it grow quicker and thicker :)

Nothing will 'make' the tail grow. You can keep it clean and moisturized to prevent the pores from being blocked. Massaging the tail end will encourage blood flow.

However - genetics are genetics and we can't change that!

Cowgirls Boots 08-07-2012 10:37 AM

Google it. It's called MTG (Main-Tail-Grow) :D

Or is it groom? Hmm. Something like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cowgirls Boots 08-07-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1634098)
Nothing will 'make' the tail grow. You can keep it clean and moisturized to prevent the pores from being blocked. Massaging the tail end will encourage blood flow.

However - genetics are genetics and we can't change that!

I believe she said the tail had to be cut due to it being matted :)
Posted via Mobile Device

caseymyhorserocks 08-07-2012 03:07 PM

Rub in olive oil!

Can He Star 08-07-2012 08:18 PM

there isn't much you can do to MAKE it grow. as someone said before, you can't help genetics. You can get a hair growth booster , however sometimes it will do more harm than good. i used some on my horses tail to boost it up, but it caused his skin to go red and start to flake off. not good :(

however there are a few things you do to look after it which will HELP with the growth.

- ensure the tail is conditioned and kept clean. if they are rubbing their tails ,a reason for that could be that they are itchy so a good wash should help. also check for lice.
- dont 'brush' it all the time( when you do ,don't use a comb, try a body brush instead), try to just pick all of the knots and grass out.
- sometimes if you attach a tail bag to one of your rugs it will keep the tail clean for longer, however some horses will rub if the tail bag irritates them. so if you see your horse rubbing, it is probably a good idea to take it off. its better to have a little bit of tail then none

it takes years for a horses tail to grow. my tb gelding had part of his chewed of by the yearlings at a stud and i had had him for nearly two years and it still hadnt completely grown out. i guess it just depends on the horse. just like some peoples hair grows thicker and longer , quicker than others.

its lbs not miles 08-08-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canteringleap (Post 1634030)
Hi guys!
This is my new horse, and his tail was left in a plait with his previous owner for several months - thus matted and had to be cut, this is it a month on (sorry about the average photo, only one I could find to show) :)
Thanks!

The "growth" rate of the tail will be determined by health, diet and genetics. Just like your own hair.

You can take care when grooming to avoid pulling out much of it or causing the hair to break, but that has nothing to do with the rate of growth.

I've had people think that my horses have such long tails and manes because I use coconut oil to comb them out, but it's not the case. If it were both my horses would have the same heavy forelocks, but only one does. The coconut oil is healthy for their hair and helps reduce breaking when combed out, but doesn't make it grow faster or longer.

Hair is not like a a plant. You can't add manure around the base to make it grow more :lol:. If you could then there would be a lot fewer bald men and most ladies would have horses with excessively long flowing manes and tails. Hair growth is determined on the inside, not the outside. Even the few products that humans use with a degree of success for growing hair do not work for everyone and usually have a relative minor effect when they do work. They also don't make hair grow faster. The only helps promote hair growth where it has stopped.

Time, patience, good health, diet and careful grooming well do the most for getting you a long tail again.

BTW: the most matted tail I've ever seen (it looked like a huge club) was combed out in under 2 hours with oil and a lot of careful work starting at the end and carefully working up the tail. Cutting it is the easy way out, but not the only way. Most guys will take the easy way :lol: provided there's not some woman screaming not to cut the long tail. :lol:

TrojanCowgirl 08-08-2012 05:15 AM

MTG and Coconut Oil are good options. I loved MTG but unfortunately, tack store upped the price and I can't afford it and I *always* forget to order it online. Sooo I use Olive Oil. Extra Virgin if possible, but just regular works fine too. I was the tail once every two weeks with shampoo, condition it, let the conditioner seep in for 5-15 minutes (depending on how long the tail is and how much you use), rinse it all out thoroughly, wait for it to dry, rub a nickel to quarter sized amount of OO in the tail all over. Then take a brush that won't pull any hair, start from the bottom and brush up. I do not braid my horse's tails anymore because they rub them out and the tails get thinner and shorter. So I just leave mine long unless they're going out to pasture.

I hope this helps you :)