The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Breastfeeding in Public (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/breastfeeding-public-133805/)

tempest 08-07-2012 12:34 PM

Breastfeeding in Public

What is your opinion on mothers breastfeeding in public?

DrumRunner 08-07-2012 12:47 PM

Mine is short and sweet.. If society thinks it's great and "sexy" for a girl/woman to run around in a bikini that's nothing more a few strings tied together, but a mom breastfeeding should not be looked down up or considered inappropriate. No, that's just wrong IMO.

kait18 08-07-2012 12:57 PM

tricky tricky :)

well i generally go by if you are exposing your breast to nurse a baby in public you are techincally stripping/streaking which is not acceptable. however there are always loopholes.

my loophole for people breast feeding in public is that they please cover themselves with those blankets/sheets/bibs whatever they are called. they go over your head and sit around your neck and on the shoulders and drapes down the womens body and covers both breasts and the child nursing. there are always bathrooms you can go in for emergencies, you might have to buy something small but then again the women should have pumped before leaving the house just for the slight chance you might need to feed again or have the curtesy to cover up the public feeding and not to expect others to be ok with her exposing herself.

but then when you add women in uniform whether military, police, fire, etc etc they should not breast feed in public when wearing the uniform. when they are out of uniform they are regular civs so my above comments would then apply. to me it is extremely disrepectful to breastfeed in public in uniform.

Jake and Dai 08-07-2012 01:01 PM

I hope I do not get flamed for expressing my opinion and please keep in mind I am female.

It makes me hugely hugely uncomfortable. I feel like I'm viewing an intimate moment that I should not be and I do not like it at all.

calicokatt 08-07-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kait18 (Post 1634284)
tricky tricky :)

well i generally go by if you are exposing your breast to nurse a baby in public you are techincally stripping/streaking which is not acceptable. however there are always loopholes.

my loophole for people breast feeding in public is that they please cover themselves with those blankets/sheets/bibs whatever they are called. they go over your head and sit around your neck and on the shoulders and drapes down the womens body and covers both breasts and the child nursing. there are always bathrooms you can go in for emergencies, you might have to buy something small but then again the women should have pumped before leaving the house just for the slight chance you might need to feed again or have the curtesy to cover up the public feeding and not to expect others to be ok with her exposing herself.

but then when you add women in uniform whether military, police, fire, etc etc they should not breast feed in public when wearing the uniform. when they are out of uniform they are regular civs so my above comments would then apply. to me it is extremely disrepectful to breastfeed in public in uniform.

Would you eat your dinner in the bathroom? Especially a public bathroom? I wouldn't, and I wouldn't feed my baby in there either. (here honey, hang on a minute while I put down a toilet seat protector, so I can sit in the little stall and feed you on the toilet) And most of the time when I was is nursing, you can't see a darn thing anyway, so why overheat both baby and mom by draping them in a blanket(this has been the case for nearly every other nursing woman I had ever met, as well)? Honestly, when I've covered up in a blanket, it draws more attention, and the little old ladies want to see the baby and rip the blanket off anyway.

If I don't get to breastfeed my baby when he/she's hungry, then you should have to keep your little (fat) bottle-fed porkers at home, too.

Can't tell I feel strongly about this one, can you? I once nursed my son for almost the entirety of the flight from California to Germany, with no blanket to cover us and the only comments I got were how well behaved he and my 4 year old were, and how much the other passengers appreciated it.

waresbear 08-07-2012 01:04 PM

Use a blanket, I did, no one sees anything. I did it in public and no one seemed to notice or mind, this was in 1980's. I could careless if a mom exposes her breast to nurse her baby but others (men!) might look for a bit too long.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tianimalz 08-07-2012 01:05 PM

If it's under a blanket; who cares? Really, can we get teenagers to pull their pants up, get age appropriate clothing, and THEN worry about something so menial as how a woman feeds her baby?

Speed Racer 08-07-2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake and Dai (Post 1634290)
It makes me hugely hugely uncomfortable. I feel like I'm viewing an intimate moment that I should not be and I do not like it at all.

This.

I have no issue with women breastfeeding, but WHY does it have to be out in front of God and everyone?

If your baby needs food, fine and dandy. But at least put a blanket or cover over your boob instead of whipping it out where everyone and his brother can see it.

And please, don't start with the, 'But it's NATURAL!' Yeah, so is pooping, but I don't want to see anyone else doing that!

As far as the butt floss and toilet tissue squares that pass for bathing suits nowadays, I don't like to see that much skin out in public, either.

texasgal 08-07-2012 01:12 PM

Baby's have to eat. Breastfeeding mother's shouldn't be locked away out of the public like they are doing something wrong.

And just like with anything .. there is an appropriate way to do things.

If it makes you uncomfortable to know that a woman is breastfeeding under that baby blanket, that is YOUR issue.

If a woman feels the need to show her nipple to the public everytime she breastfeeds, that is HER issue ..

imo.

Tianimalz 08-07-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgal (Post 1634314)
Baby's have to eat. Breastfeeding mother's shouldn't be locked away out of the public like they are doing something wrong.

And just like with anything .. there is an appropriate way to do things.

If it makes you uncomfortable to know that a woman is breastfeeding under that baby blanket, that is YOUR issue.

If a woman feels the need to show her nipple to the public everytime she breastfeeds, that is HER issue ..

imo.

I rather note see anyone's nipple, and I'm no prude when it comes to the human body :lol: Really, it's about modesty, specially if it is a public place to eat. My mother breast fed all 5 of my siblings and myself, so I am dis positioned not to mind it, however I REALLY don't want some woman whipping it out in the eatery booth next to me. It is awkward, distracting, and not something I want to have my mind wandered too while I am trying to enjoy my lunch :lol: You can't just bypass modesty laws because baby is hungry, either please use a blanket, or pump it beforehand.