The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Favourite type of workout? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/favourite-type-workout-133808/)

Kido 08-07-2012 11:49 AM

Favourite type of workout?

What is your favourite type of workout that you do to keep fit and in shape for horseriding? I absolutely love Tae Bo and have some old DVD's from Billy Blanks. I do it 3 - 4 times a week. But, I do get bored with doing the same stuff over and over again and would like to vary my "exercise" program a little. Any ideas? I don't think I want to try that Zumba dancing (spelling??), because I don't have any rhythm and co-ordination for dancing :-|. I also don't want to join a gym or organized classes as it costs too much money, which I don't have, because I spend my entire salary on my horses :shock:!!

DancingArabian 08-07-2012 02:48 PM

I have a membership to Curves and I do Zumba. Zumba is really easy if you have it broken down. Im actually getting my Zumba instructor cert next month - too bad you're not in MD. I'd make you join my group!
Posted via Mobile Device

dee 08-08-2012 05:30 PM

Honestly? My favorite workout is the one I can do without getting out of bed!

Seriously - I don't do well with structured workouts. I will dance, but only when I'm the only one on the property. Hubby and the rest of the family make too much fun of me.

I can't bring myself to exercise in a group situation. The last couple of times I tried, I was three times the size of everyone else in the class. Didn't go back...

Saddlebag 08-08-2012 06:48 PM

Let'se see, carry a heavy basket of wet laundry to the line and hang it up, with some stairs that have to be negotiated. (biceps and triceps and legs) dust mopping floors (torso) wet mopping (upper legs) lifting a bale, (same as wet laundry) lift and dump a 50 lf bag of grain into the barrel (wet laundry) clean two big stalls, (every muscle I own). The barn is every day while most other is twice weekly. I think I get plenty of exercise. Oh, carried heavy blocking yesterday and levelled the deck.

waresbear 08-08-2012 07:01 PM

I like plyometrics, kick boxing, old school calestetics, weights. Days I have my granddaughter, I go on 5 to 10k bike rides with her in the bike trailer, awesome for my legs since 1/2 is up a steep mountain.

Kido 08-09-2012 05:01 AM

Dancing Arabian, I would have love to join your class!! I'm in South Africa, though! We do have Curves here, but the one nearest to me is 60km's away. We have a gym in the village where I live, but it's expensive and I know if I pay membership, it will be a waste, because I will probably never go. I don't know how people fit in everything they do in a day! I always seem to have limited time and even more limited finances! After work, I go to my horses. I look after them myself and that is a workout in itself! Then I still have chores at home to do, so I don't work out every day, because I know I won't keep it up. I do it 3 - 4 times a week.

DancingArabian 08-09-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 1636557)
Honestly? My favorite workout is the one I can do without getting out of bed!

Seriously - I don't do well with structured workouts. I will dance, but only when I'm the only one on the property. Hubby and the rest of the family make too much fun of me.

I can't bring myself to exercise in a group situation. The last couple of times I tried, I was three times the size of everyone else in the class. Didn't go back...

You would fit right in to my class dee :) we have mostly larger women and all age ranges (the oldest lady is near 80). I tell them how to adjust the workouts to be easier or harder yet keep pace with the steps.

You need a supportive environment. Your family laughing does NOT help. That's why I like Curves. No men, no mirrors, no judgement. It's all women and no one cares if you're 100 pounds or 600 pounds. And it's a true not caring - not like in some places where you see they care and are trying to be polite.

I totally wish you could join my club!

Kido- I wish you could too! Remember that exercise doesn't have to be an hour. Even a half hour is good - just get your heart rate up. Do little things like take the stairs, park farther away, walk more whenever possible. It adds up! If you can get a pedometer, aim for 10,000 steps a day.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saddlebag 08-09-2012 05:08 PM

I need to add shovelling gravel into a trailer then shovelling it out to spread it at destination.

englishaqh 08-09-2012 11:01 PM

Have you tried things like running and cycling?
These are things that you can do at a gym, or just around wherever you feel like it.

Kido 08-10-2012 06:16 AM

englishaqh, I hate running!! I actually like cycling and do that whenever I get a chance, or when it is not too cold or windy. At the moment my bike has a puncture in his front tyre, so hubby must fix that for me first...

But, I was looking at some exercise DVD's at the on-line shop. There are so many to choose from and I'm just wondering if someone has experience with one that is really nice to do.

I like exercising in my own home, because I can do it whenever I get a chance and don't spend time on travelling to and from the gym. I can do it while I'm busy with something else - eg. something is in the oven, or while the washing machine is on. So yes, I can multitask while exercising! It's just more convenient for me and I stick to it better than going to the gym.