The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Roping (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/)
-   -   Anyone doing any roping in this heat? (http://www.horseforum.com/roping/anyone-doing-any-roping-heat-133814/)

ropinbiker 08-07-2012 12:48 PM

Anyone doing any roping in this heat?

Howdy all! I am pretty new to the sight and wanted to say that(as you may be able to tell by my usernam) I like to rope, and am just now getting back into team roping after being out of it for about 3 years. Life got a bit busy - horse was getting old - new horse was too young - etc.

Anyway, the youngest daughter starting riding with the local drill team and that got the "i got start roping" juices flowing again.

I have a new to me horse, started as a head horse by the previous owner...so, I'll be training him up while my youngster(3 yo) just learns what being a cow/western horse is all about without the added pressure of catching and then pulling steers. I have roped a few head on the new horse and he seems to have the speed and cow sense necessary to get the job done. I have to work on some issues with his nerves(common problem with a lot of roping/barrel horses that weren't trained the way I like them trained..), but that should be about it.

Just wanted to see if there were any other team ropers/ranch ropers still on the site -- I did read some of the older posts and noticed there were some around a few months ago....but don't see too many newer threads.

COWCHICK77 08-07-2012 05:34 PM

Roperbiker, welcome to the forum! Yep, not too many ropers on here, so the roping section has the tendency to collect dust.

My husband and I both enjoy ranch rodeos, but getting a good team together and practicing together is the hardest part. Some girls and I have a pretty competitive team, but getting coordinated. One girl lives over by Waco and two of us live by Tyler and we have a couple of alternates. We had big plans of hitting the WRRA rodeos and making the finals this year but it fell through. The mare that I use, her feet fell apart and her shoulders have been bothering her. Like you you I have a younger horse that is great, but just needs to be seasoned by going to town. He is great for doing ranch work, but going to town was a major deal.

I have never done a whole lot of team roping, but what little I have was good fun! I bet your excited to get your horse going good. Team roping is pretty popular here, but it seems most of them are put on by little production companies. On the west coast it seems to be all assoc. Based USTRC, ACTRA.

The heat down here sucks! I am miserable and so are my horses. We went to friends the other weekend to help him work some cows and rope calves. We were gathering at daylight, but had to quit at 10 because it was just too hard on cattle, horses and people.
I ride at the fairgrounds a couple times a week and if I sweet talk the manager he will turn the fans on in the indoor for me which makes it tolerable and getting there as soon as they unlock the gates in the morning.

I can't wait until the fall!

Roperchick 08-07-2012 05:48 PM

If i ever get back home ill def. be breakin out my ropes! and of course ill have lots of ropin time when i get my ranch in 2015....but right now?
no. cuz im in HI and horseless:cry:
then again my friend did say i can start runnin barrels on her horse :think: maybe i can convince her to let me rope on him too!:thumbsup:

ropinbiker 08-07-2012 06:54 PM

Ranch rodeos are fun for sure! We have one here in san angelo on the 25th. My daughter and her drill team are performing the opening ceremony and will perform twice during it.
Team roping is a blast,but not so much bin the heat.

COWCHICK77 08-07-2012 07:00 PM

LOL, why do you crazy Texans want to do all this fun stuff in the heat of summer!
How old is your daughter? You will have to post pics of her performance :)

ropinbiker 08-07-2012 09:13 PM

16 going on 30.....i will get some pictures of the rodeo roundup in stamford or the brady rodeo..they performed at those as well.

well, you have to do stuff in the heat if you want to have any fun from june to sep....

COWCHICK77 08-07-2012 09:21 PM

LOL teenage girls...well at least she likes horses! It kept me out of alot of trouble at that age!

I suppose you native Texans are just tolerant of it. Last summer was our first summer down here and it about did me in. I didn't ride from June till October. My horses didn't do well either. This summer wasn't as bad, thank goodness! But my outdoor activities are still limited. I am a cold weathered girl! I like my snow pac boots...I can only take so much clothing off in the summer. But have no issue with bundling up :)

smrobs 08-07-2012 10:06 PM

LOL, Chick, last year wasn't the best year to move to Texas and start trying to get used to the heat. We've had the hottest 2 years that I can ever remember :lol:. Heck, I am a native and these last 2 years have made me want to move north.

Ropinbiker, welcome to the forum! Like Chick said, there aren't too many ropers on here. I don't do much more than dabble in the ranch roping thing. We only have cattle during the summer months and normally only rope one when it's sick and needs doctoring....so my rope gets almost as dusty as this part of the forum:oops:.

My Dad and Brother used to team rope a lot, but I was never interested in learning how to rope at all until I was in my early 20s. By then, we didn't have any roping stock left so I was stuck trying to learn by dragging calves during branding season. I got pretty good at getting my rope around those short little legs, but that doesn't exactly transfer over to roping a 9 weight yearling around a pair of short horns:rofl:.

My rope gets a lot more use roping unhandled horses than it does roping cattle:wink:.

COWCHICK77 08-07-2012 10:16 PM

LOL..this heat has brought out the big whiny, pee pee, cry baby!

Smrobs, if your roping horses, your a lot more handy than I could think of being! LOL

smrobs 08-07-2012 10:23 PM

LOL, only in a roundpen. I could never dream of throwing a houlihan on one in a big arena or a pasture, but I can generally get the rope on them first shot (one way or another) in my little 45 foot pen.