The Horse Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/forumindex.php)
- Horse Grooming (/horse-grooming/)
- - Grooming must haves (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/grooming-must-haves-13382/)
Grooming must haves
Alright, the stable I am at has a limited supply of grooming items, and seen how there has been an increase of people out riding, brushes and picks and such are in valued commodity.
I was thinking about going out and buying a few things, but I'm not sure what? Can anyone give me any suggestions? This would give me a GREAT reason to go out and visit the new store that opened up just down the way.
I always use stiff brush, soft brush, comb (+ often main/tail detangler), and hoof pick with brush. I also use very soft brush on their heads, but not that often. As you see, not that many... :)
I was always told stiffest to softest, is this correct? I'm not even sure of what you call the bushes?
A hoof pick and a stiff brush and a soft brush. That's about as basic as it gets. I don't know that I would go out a buy a whole lot for a lesson horse. OH...I just had a brain fart. :idea: For like $12 I got a cheapo bag of grooming tools!!! Look for them at the "new" store!!! It came with about 8 pieces but the basics you would need and all in a tidy little vinyl bag. I have upgraded the ones I use more but after a year all the tools are in pretty good condition. I'd start there.
Here's what I always have in my grooming box...
- Curry comb (I always use this first to break up the dirt)
- Stiff Brush (to brush away the majority of the dirt)
- Soft Brush (for the face and to go over the horse again to add some extra shine)
- Hoof pick w/ brush (for picking hooves and the brush comes in handy to clean the wall of the hoof too)
- An old rag (to go over the horse with and to apply fly spray, show sheen, etc. to the face)
- Mane/Tail comb and brush (to brush out the mane and tail)
- Detangler (mane and tail is the best in my opinion)
- Treats are a must. I always have some with me and the horses know it.
I think that's about it. Right now I also have Showsheen, shampoo, conditioner, sponge, Corona (love this stuff), bucket, and fly spray in my locker that I use quite often but are not necesary.
I'm not looking to spend a small fortune, just looking for an excuse to shop and go to the new store lol.
Definitely get a whack of hoofpicks, nothing fancy, just cheap ones that are like $1 or $2 each. People lose them all the time. I keep several in my tack box.
Other essentials would be curry combs, hard brushes and soft brushes.
Soft brush, hard brush, hoof pick (any kind, but I like the one with the little brush hehe), curry combs are a must, & a comb. :)
well 60 bucks later I got EVERYTHING but a darn bag. :roll:
all this talk of brushes and combs is making me want to go out and groom Charmer until he looks like an Olympic winner! :lol:
yea i use:
mane and tail comb
softer brush for his face
in that order haha!
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:56 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.