The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Crosby Saddle type? hel p please! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/crosby-saddle-type-hel-p-please-133844/)

TheSkipper 08-07-2012 06:02 PM

Crosby Saddle type? hel p please!

I cant seem to figure out how old my saddle is. I bought it used and its old enough not to have knee pads/rolls or any blocks. I dont know if it i a close contact or anything. I know that they still make new versions of the saddle that are REALLY expensive. I also didnt know if it would be worth it to add knee pads/rolls to such a old saddle. Help please!

jumanji321 08-07-2012 06:08 PM

pictures?

maura 08-07-2012 07:40 PM

The old Crosby Prix de Nations were the old style FLAT close contact, no knee roll, no thigh block and what was referred to then as a "pencil roll." Most commonly seen in bridle leather. If this sounds like what you have, check out the prices on eBay and see what they're going for - they've held their value pretty well.

Photos would be a big help, as would a serial number (Crosbys have then stamped into the leather on the underskirt, a description or photo of the saddle plate or the the nail head.

If it's a 17.5" with a wide tree, I might buy it from you. :-)

TheSkipper 08-07-2012 10:34 PM

Im not looking to sell it, I love it sooo much haha. Ill have pictures up in a few minutes because the camera is charging, but the serial number is 5 3 9070. ive tried google searching in general but im not sure how to figure it out. the plate next to the stirrup hooks says"Made In England CROSBY Olympic Works"and the I guess studs? all say Crosby England. I bought it from a consignment place and the brass was extremely oxidized and coated in green and i still cant get a lot off. I cant tell if someone tried to dye it or not. I saw a saddle that looked a lot like this one, but it was an orangy color. Mine is a very dark brown but the underneath is orangy with a lot of strange dark stripes. The orange stripe is still on the top of the saddle so thats why im confused if its been dyed or not.

tinyliny 08-07-2012 11:10 PM

Is it this type?

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/im...9cE9NAMfTJMsog

TheSkipper 08-08-2012 12:01 AM

it looks really similar, mine is just darker. I will have pictures up as soon as my camera has enough charge

TheSkipper 08-08-2012 12:16 AM

how do i post pictures?

TheSkipper 08-08-2012 11:18 AM

6 Attachment(s)
the picture with the plate says made in england its just covered with the, i guess oxidation? covered with the green. also the stirrup hook? has numbers imprinted on it. i dont know if that would matter or not

Speed Racer 08-08-2012 11:22 AM

That's a lovely older saddle. Why would you want to ruin it by adding knee rolls?

maura 08-08-2012 11:44 AM

That's a bridle leather Prix de Nations, between 20 - 30 years old.

They are wonderful saddles, lots of folks are very fond of them. Check eBay for a value.

And no, it doesn't make any sense to try to add knee rolls to an existing saddle. A saddle with knee rolls has a different size and shape flap than one without.

I would LOVE to find that saddle in a wide tree. Maybe you should sell it and get an something with knee rolls if that's what you really want.