The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Horse Trail riding in New Zealand (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/horse-trail-riding-new-zealand-133871/)

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-07-2012 11:12 PM

Horse Trail riding in New Zealand

My wife and I pleasure trail ride using Pack horses in our south Island of New Zealand mountain areas and have a personal website of our adventures.. check out www.canterburyhorsetrailriders.org ..

Take a look and let us know what you think..!

Cheers Tony

Celeste 08-08-2012 01:46 PM

Beautiful pictures.

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-08-2012 07:35 PM

Trail riding in New Zealand

Thank you for your kind reply, yes we have a lot of stunning scenery in our mountain areas.

Within reason, we are able to plan and ride almost anywhere in the mountains that we like with no restrictions, there are very few rules or regulations,trekking is more about keeping an eye on weather conditions and keeps ourselves safe..

In our back country we have a huge number of back country huts that often are free of charge and free to use. although some of the huts on popular walking trails have a small charge ( $5 per night)
Huts are worked on a first come first served basis .

Most week long treks we can travel for around 100 kilometres (60 miles) from hut to hut exploring the country and not see another person...

Like you folks, we do like to keep a low impact on the mountain enviroment... but dont have any rules governing camping with horses at all...!

Paradise 08-09-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canterburyhorsetrailrider (Post 1636661)
Thank you for your kind reply, yes we have a lot of stunning scenery in our mountain areas.

Within reason, we are able to plan and ride almost anywhere in the mountains that we like with no restrictions, there are very few rules or regulations,trekking is more about keeping an eye on weather conditions and keeps ourselves safe..

In our back country we have a huge number of back country huts that often are free of charge and free to use. although some of the huts on popular walking trails have a small charge ( $5 per night)
Huts are worked on a first come first served basis .

Most week long treks we can travel for around 100 kilometres (60 miles) from hut to hut exploring the country and not see another person...

Like you folks, we do like to keep a low impact on the mountain enviroment... but dont have any rules governing camping with horses at all...!

I think I'm going to pack up and move to NZ this week! Seriously looks like heaven on earth.

What are your seasons and weather like there, canterbury?

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-09-2012 04:46 PM

Thank you for your reply...
We do have four quite distinctly different seasons here in Canterbury, Winter (currently) can experience 3 metres of snow on the mountain passes and down country where we live we will only have a couple snow falls often no more than a couple inches each time over winter, often frosts around 0 deg so not to bad.
Rainfall bout 25 to 30 inches per annum.

High country can have frost up to 300 days a yr, spring and autumn are lovely with spring flowers and green growth, and autumn beautiful change of colours,

Autumn is the best time to come visit NZ as weather warm and stable, Summer often warm and windy..Personally I enjoy the four seasons and just dress accordingly...

I love the trail rides, love planning a different ride each time and out there for a week away from the modern rush of life in the fast lane so to speak. BLISS...!

If any of you folks are seriously planning to travel here and would like an adventure horse trek thru some of our mountain country email me and I can put you in touch with a commercial trekking company that truely take you thru the mountain passes and valleys, crossing rivers a metre deep, staying in back country huts with campfire cooked meals, you saddle and ride your own horse with pack horses taking all the supplies for the 400k / 11 day ride thru our Southern Alps with real men and women..Highly recommend it..!

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-11-2012 07:19 PM

I am over this long winter this year.. have ordered a brand new pack saddle and harness, so keen to try it out..

Any weather gods over your side active to clear this wet weather currently....??? smilies..

tinyliny 08-11-2012 07:47 PM

It sounds so very appealing. I come from a place of man mountains and lakes, too. Just curious, about what does it cost to do a week long trek?

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-11-2012 08:14 PM

Hi, to do the commercial trekking companys eleven day trip is around nz$4000 us$3000....
It is a lot of money, but the trek is "out of this world" in where they go with the horses. the camp life and scenery.. its not a holiday as such as ..more of an adventure..you are required to do your part in looking after your horse, you saddle him. ride and look after his needs a the end of the day..

You are trained before you go in also helping saddle and load the pack horses..

Most of these trips there are around 15 to 18 riders and they take around 35 horses along with them..The horses work hard on some of the passes and mountain trail so are rotated daily as they dont have many days off during the trail..Its a trip of a life time from what I have heard...

Pictures on my website are a snapshot of where they also take you thru..Stunning..!
(A WEEK LONG SHORTER TREK is around $nz2500 us $1800)

canterburyhorsetrailrider 08-13-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1641109)
It sounds so very appealing. I come from a place of man mountains and lakes, too. Just curious, about what does it cost to do a week long trek?

I am looking forward to spring arriving next month then in approx 6 weeks time I hope enough snow has gone to go on our first trek...

The area has some stunning scenery and will post pics and a commentary on my website on return.. Looking forward to cooking a big juicy steak on the open fire..yum..

Canteringleap 08-13-2012 07:41 AM

If anyone has any great trail ride ideas in the Wellington region let me know! I'd love to try new places :)

I absolutely love trails down in the south island, such unbeatable beauty.